Vented Direct Cylinder vs unvented

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get rid of my old copper cylinder as the booster pump noise which is situated at the bottom to provide head for the bathroom is becoming unbearable.
The current cylinder has got the cold water tank supply on top of the hot one all in one piece and the booster pump provides head for the taps and bath in the only bathroom in the house.
I am getting quotes for unvented pressurised cylinders but there is no outside wall in the cupboard where the cylinder will be installed and that means lifting floorboards and carpet in order to get the heat resistant escape pipe outside. I have been told about installing a Vented Direct Cylinder which should provide enough pressure in the bathroom which is where the pressure is needed.
Can someone advise me on one system over the other?

Sponsored Links
No brainer, unvented is a much better option, assuming your supply is adequate. The safety discharge pipe is just your regular copper pipe and cutting/lifting floorboards is easy and quick job (a circular power saw will be used and noggins used to reinforce the floor if needed)

Thanks for quick reply, what about pricewise?
Not many professionals are prepared to do the job of installing an unvented cylinder in my place and the problem seem to be the amount of work they need to do i.e lifting carpet, and floorboards, at least that is the feedback that I get. I am tempted to use the well known vented cylinder with cold water tank in loft to provide head. it seems to have lees complications and seem to be cheaper and lower maintenance.

They are probably not prepared to do it because they are not qualified to, they need a unvented G3 ticket.

Get two quotes from plumbers with this qualification to get a more balanced opinion, if the guys you have had around are moaning about taking floors up, then i would seriously question their competence.

Sponsored Links
I got qualified profesionals to check it out and one was prepared to do it but let me down the day before and never heard of him again. Others just dont bother calling me back after taking a look. Another one told me that because i did not want an expensive cylinder just one mid range he was no prepared to do it as I was not going to be "satisfied" with the quality of their work. Another one told me that it was quite an expensive option as it required annual revisions by qualified profesionals.So at this ponit I am fed up an I am considering vented cylinder as it seems reliable, cheap, and low maintenance. what do I do??

Have you looked in to having no cylinder and having a combi boiler? Have you got poor flow and pressure at the property, more than one bathroom?

I have only one bathroom upstairs and not need of boiler as i have storage heaters. I only need head for the bathroom taps. Anyone has an opinion about gledhill torrent direct thermal store? it has been sugested to me as an alternative.

I have only one bathroom upstairs and not need of boiler as i have storage heaters. I only need head for the bathroom taps. Anyone has an opinion about gledhill torrent direct thermal store? it has been sugested to me as an alternative.

And what exactly is the Thermal store supposed to heat or be heated by if you have electric storage heating ????

A plumber suggested it to me as an alternative to the unvented cylinders.
I never heard of this before so all feedback will be appreciated. So far i am tempted to go for the cylinder with cold water tank in loft....

Steer clear of thermal stores. I'd go unvented and indeed did in my own house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back