2 Unvented Cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to use 2 Unvented Cylinders in an installation, which is heated by one main boiler? The thinking is that in a multiple bathroom house, each cylinder would supply 2 bathrooms (showers) (+ 1 kitchen). There would be a large cold storage tank located elsewhere, which with an inline pump, would feed mains pressure into both cylinders. Assuming that each shower is 10L a min, and each cylinder 250L, Large Cold tank.

The boiler would need to be able to cope with the heating requirements of the cylinders, but could a combination of direct/indirect heating be used? There is also the consideration of how the CH system fits into all of this.

Would like to hear of issues with any such similar installations.. thanks

Sponsored Links
The Megaflo product brochure pictures a twin-cylinder install.

You'll need a nice strong floor for 2x 250l

they'll actually be on separate floors. can you point me to the diagram online? thanks

Sponsored Links
i talk about the paper brochure. you'll have to look for an electronic copy yourself. However, in the picture they were next to each other, and the hw outlets were joined immediately.

if yours are on separate floors then you're probably thinking of running 2 separate hw circuits in the house. You could knock up a simple circuit with 2 relays and two 2-port valves, and 2 cylinder stats, which would appear to be only 1 cylinder from an electrical point of view to the programmer). hence your hw flow would go to a Tee, each T branch to a 2 port valve, then on to the cylinders.

or, if anyone out there makes a 2 port valve that incorporates a microswitch that is operated when the valve has opened (but is electrically isolated from the motor drive) then you don't even need the relays. cunning.

does anyone make valves like that? i don't know.

For heating side of it you just need an s plan system and a two channel programer for hot water only, or if you know the times are always the same for both one chanel of a programer can send a signal to both cylinder stats, if either call for heat the valve for that cylinder will trigor the pump and boiler, water won't flow to other circuit unless it also calls for heat.

Make sure water storage is sufficient for any balanced cold demand and hot demand from both cylinders, probably use two, certainly use dual pipework.

Yes they are talking about two cylinders I am talking about two header tanks read properly before snipping, that is so anoying. Have you a valid contribution or prefer to pick holes in those who are trying to help?

Make sure that the boiler can cope with the demand of two UVHWC's and a heating system. The coils in a mega are of a very high outbut and can require 20 plus Kw's to heat them each. The info will be on the Heatrae site I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back