Unvented Hot Water Cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology but here goes.

I currently have an indirect vented hot water cylinder (i.e. water heated from boiler with coil in cylinder, the indirect bit?). I also have 1 bathroom shower fed by an old and noisy pump to give a decent shower and a further 2 en-suites fed by another old and noisy pump (3 showers and 2 pumps). I have the opportunity to change these pumps to more modern quieter ones or change the cylinder to a mains pressurised one. My understanding is that this is known as an indirect, unvented cylinder, is that correct?

My question is what should I be thinking about when deciding which is the best way to go. My goal would be the best long term solution, not necessarily the cheapest (although a vast difference in cost would be a factor).

Additionally which make of pump/cylinder would people consider to be the best?

Hope you can help, Steve

Sponsored Links
Yes, what you are describing is an unvented hot water system.

Regarding whether or not it is right for you depends on the mains water pressure & flow rate to your property. For a system the size of yours you will certainly need at least 22mm/3/4" supply, if not 28mm or 1" mains pipe with decent pressure.

Regards which cylinder is best to go for, most people here seem to favour Heatrae Sadia's Megaflow, or the Santon model.

These need to be fitted by professionals who carry the proper certification, as if done incorrectly they can be very dangerous.

What ACOperson said, and you also need to consider the exit route for the discharge pipe, this needs to be as short, direct and straight as possible, to outside.

OSO cylinders a prety good, and reasonably priced.

If you go for the mains pressure unvented cylinder approach, you won't need to have shower pumps since the pressure will be more than adequate.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
If you go for the mains pressure unvented cylinder approach, you won't need to have shower pumps since the pressure will be more than adequate.

Hi Chris,

yes I understand that. My question is do I replace the existing old and noisy pumps (not sure if new ones would be much quieter) or remove the pumps and replace with an unvented system.

Thanks
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back