Ventilation of old E Type Boiler Query

BTW... Free area for a pipe with a CSA of 100mm would be 78.5 cm2.

Sponsored Links
Extract from the boiler manual " An adequate supply of fresh air for combustion and ventilation must be avilable to ensure safe and efficient operation of the boiler. Where the appliance is installed in a room (which it is) purpose designed ventillation must be provided in an outside wall of the building (which is has - debateable wether to keep extractor commissioned or not). The opening may be either (a) directly into the room containing the appliance (which it is) or (b) into an adjacent room or space which has an internal purpose-provided opening to the room containing the appliance. The minimum effective areas of all purpose-designed ventilation openings must be
CF 105N, 155cm2 (24ins2)
The total area of two four inch pipes is 162cm2.

I fail to see how the arrangement that I have is not compliant, the boiler manual does go on to quote figures akin to what you mention above, but only where the boiler is situated in a cupboard

Yup your right - i assumed they were 4 inch - just measured em they are actually 10cm so agree with your CSA of 78.5cm2, which for 2 pipes is 157cm2 which exceeds the required 155cm2

Sponsored Links
Ceiling height being a moot point when categorising a room or compartment.

Whoever installed the high and low ventilation obviously deemed it as a compartment..:)

same ceiling height as the corridor and the room next to it - some "compartments" this size sell for hundreds of 000's in London

they obviously didn't classify it as a compartment as they would have made the pipes larger - they didn't have to so they didn't do so.

What was the point of this thread if in your opinion the ventilation is adequate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back