Ventilation slots in double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remember reading here sometime ago that is no longer required to have those ventilation slits in the new double glazed windows. My architect seems to think differently and says it is required as part of building regulations.

Could someone please confirm what the situation is on this and whether they are needed?

Sponsored Links
In new build yes you do need them or ventilation elsewhere. Its just cheaper and easier to put them in the windows.

When you say new build, do you mean new build homes or new build extensions? Or both. What are the exceptions?

Thanks.

You will need them in a new extension

Sponsored Links
If you are replacing existing windows that have them in , you will need to put them back too. Also if you have ' combustionable ' appliance ( rayburn , open fire, woodburner ) , unless you have another form of ventilation , you will also need need

unless things have improved in the last decade (it's been that and more since i bought double glazing) i hope manufacturers have improved their installation methods for trickle vents. seems ridiculous to go to all the bother of manufacturing a double glazed sealed unit ... to then breach that efficiency with a long slot routed out with two pieces of plastic clipped on either side that often seem to let noise/air in whether the vent is shut or open.

i remember years ago we got double glazing (well known manufacturer and a good quality product overall) but the internal plastic vent, although clipped in to the routed hole, was slightly loose as it hadn't been siliconed around the edge. i did this on them all and it made a difference to the levels of noise/air getting it i.e. when the vent was shut it was then pretty close to giving that 'sealed' sound.

in summary, if they're a legal requirement, manufacturers should fit better quality vents that offer a proper seal when shut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back