Venting cloakroom and small ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a cloak room and an ensuite next to each other, in the middle of the house, with no possibility of venting.

There is a small crawl space above the ensuite ceiling to house one or two inline extractor fans and ducting hoses.

I want to merge the two hoses and route them through the adjoining bedroom out through the external wall.

The hoses are standard 100mm, but that would create an unsightly "box" at the top of the wall in that bedroom.

Could I use a smaller radius hose, say 50mm instead? The length would be about 4.5m.

Maybe it would be more noisy with a smaller pipe? Or not possible?

Sponsored Links
1. I assume the smaller pipe would be 50 mm in diameter rather than radius.
2. A pipe of 100 mm diameter has a cross sectional area 4 times that of one of 50 mm diameter.
3. So to create an equivalent capacity you would require 4 x 50 mm hoses.
4. Could you consider taking the 100 mm vertically through the bedroom and into the loft, and create an external vent in the loft?

for air to egress from the space, it must have an ability to draw in air to replace it or it stands still. Ensure you address that issue or whatever you do will be meaningless

Sponsored Links
Sorry I meant 50mm overall diameter instead of 100mm.

I am not sure what capacity I need, I do not think there is a minimum mentioned anywhere? So if there was a partial blockage in the hose you'd not know it for ever. Was my thinking.

I did consider vertically up, and down, may still do that if needs be... Up is hard because there are rooms in the loft and will have to climb up on roof, cut tiles, risk leaks. Vertically up hoses are very bad as condensation then runs back into places that cause damage. Had this happening at an older house! Straight down there is an underground basement, but very hard and complicated too.

it must have an ability to draw in air to replace it
Well, you do not spend too much time and then you open the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back