Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Our house currently has one bathroom, with the soil pipe directly next to it.

We are hoping to create a small ensuite in the largest bedroom (toilet, shower, sink). The challenge is that this is on the opposite side of the house to where the existing soil pipe is. I'm not sure whether this is a challenge or not as the house is detached (I've attached a drawing of the upstairs layout). Please can you provide guidance on how you would approach it? Thoughts I've had so far are:

1) There is a rainwater drain near where we're hoping to put the ensuite (rainwater drain 1), with a downpipe from the guttering. Can that be turned into a wastewater drain? (The house was built in 1930 so I think both rainwater and wastewater end up in the same place)

2) If the above is not possible would I need to lay a new pipe from that side of the house round through the front garden and into the sewer where the drain inspection cover is?

3) If this is a complex problem requiring significant cost, would a solution be just to fit a shower and sink in the ensuite (no toilet), which can then just be drained into the rainwater drain?

4) any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Andrew

layout.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Our house currently has one bathroom, with the soil pipe directly next to it.

We are hoping to create a small ensuite in the largest bedroom (toilet, shower, sink). The challenge is that this is on the opposite side of the house to where the existing soil pipe is. I'm not sure whether this is a challenge or not as the house is detached (I've attached a drawing of the upstairs layout). Please can you provide guidance on how you would approach it? Thoughts I've had so far are:

1) There is a rainwater drain near where we're hoping to put the ensuite (rainwater drain 1), with a downpipe from the guttering. Can that be turned into a wastewater drain? (The house was built in 1930 so I think both rainwater and wastewater end up in the same place)

Andrew

View attachment 337908
You must verify - using drain dye - and opening your manhole cover - that it IS a combined system . Dye into each r/w drain - good luck

You must verify - using drain dye - and opening your manhole cover - that it IS a combined system . Dye into each r/w drain - good luck
Thanks Nige.

Assuming it is combined (pretty confident it is), how would you proceed?

Wouldn't you be better having the Ensuit bottom right corner of bedroom 2?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you be better having the Ensuit bottom right corner of bedroom 2?
Thanks for responding.

There is a large bay window in bedroom 2 that takes up most of the front wall, so don’t think I could squeeze one in the bottom right corner unfortunately

FD4E9E38-03A6-4E43-91FB-531735779F98.jpeg

With some clever design with a frosted angled glass partition and the end panel of the bay window frosted could make a trendy art deco shower room.

The joist run the right way in bedroom 4 to run a 4 inch pipe.

You could do wonders.

Screenshot_20240325_215653_Chrome.jpg

It's rough, but a good carpenter and a bespoke glass company, you could be the funkiest cleanest neighbours of the row.

Firstly, as Nige has said, do a dye test to confirm the Rainwater drain is indeed connected to a combined sewer, if it's not, then you've got to move to Plan B.

If it is, then I'd get it CCTV surveyed to ascertain its condition, root ingress, bad joints etc wont be too much of an issue with rainwater, but solid matter through the pipe is a different matter. Access for blockage clearance, can the pipe be rodded from at least one end in its entirety? Manhole/inspection chamber will be needed if not to allow access.

Existing rainwater will still need to be connected via a Trapped Gully.

If you need to go with Plan B, depth of existing sewer will be your starting point. Is is deep enough to be able to connect and run the new drain back to the house and achieve a suitable Fall on the pipe? If its very deep the excavations will need shoring up, in any case, if its a shared sewer at that point the Water Co. will need to give permission for you to connect, and may well wish to see a chamber fitted at the point of connection, built to their specification.

Just have a loft conversion with gable end, that way you can have a new master bedroom with a bathroom directly ablove you 1st floor bathroom.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back