Venting cooker hood - no hole in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited this Lamona cooker hood, which has ducting towards the external wall but then there is no hole outside? Is this a mistake?? Where else could the extracted air be going?

Attachments

• 20220206_091259.jpg
    20220206_091259.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 20220206_091245.jpg
    20220206_091245.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 324
  • 20220206_091352.jpg
    20220206_091352.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
Not all cooker hoods extract to the outside. Some merely filter and recirculate the air.
Some have the option of operating in either mode.

What does the white painted boxing lead to on the outside wall? Eidt: I see, nothing.

To me it looks like there may be a vent above what appears to be a black plate above the boiler flue. I would imagine they had to instal that to prevent fumes from the boiler getting drawn back into the cooker hood. Either that or a vent could not be installed because of the boiler flue. You could have a different flue installed that will take the fumes up above the position any vent for the extractor would need to go. I would suggest getting a gas safe engineer in to do both jobs as a recirculating extractor is a complete waste of time in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The cement patch below the plate looks to be the right position for the extractor exit. I found one that had been ducted into the cavity of a block of flats. Must have been a right state as the kitchen ceiling was dripping with grease, and the windowsill was covered in chicken bones stuck to grease from when they lob their rubbish out. Some kitchen fans can work on recirculation if they have a carbon filter fitted in them.

maybe the builders, or the person seling the flat, wanted to trick people into thinking there was an extractor, without the effort of drilling through the wall.

A recirculating hood just sends the steam back into the kitchen, and is little more than an expensive ornament.

Thanks for the replies. There aren't carbon filters on the fan so I don't think it is recirculation. If it was then the white boxing is even more baffling.

I checked above the metal plate outsideand there isn't a vent.

The cement patch to the right has been done recently - our builder said it wasn't the extractor exit..but he could've been wrong..

We've got damp issues and the property wasn't well looked after before so hoping getting this sorted will help

Attachments

• 20220206_130644.jpg
    20220206_130644.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220206_130616.jpg
    20220206_130616.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 102
Thanks for the replies. There aren't carbon filters on the fan so I don't think it is recirculation. If it was then the white boxing is even more baffling.

I checked above the metal plate outsideand there isn't a vent.

The cement patch to the right has been done recently - our builder said it wasn't the extractor exit..but he could've been wrong..

We've got damp issues and the property wasn't well looked after before so hoping getting this sorted will help
Don't ask a builder get a gas safe engineer to advise. There are regulations covering the situation you have if you wish to vent the extractor through the existing trunking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back