Ventpipe used for supply to pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has given me the keys to his property in order that I could chang a leaking stopcock whilst he is away on holiday. This is on a cw cistern in an attic. One thing I noticed was that the HW vent pipe had what looked like a wastevalve (without ring) attached to the end with another section of 22mm copperppipe connected so that it was two or three inches below the surface of the water. Matey had a shower pump fitted under his bath two or three years ago. It would appear that the installer has used the vent pipe as the cold input to the pump. Any ideas as to why he has done this? If so, what problems could this lead to? Cheers. ;)

Sponsored Links
wouldn't say its a feed to the pump.
shower pumps don't suck water they only pump.

more like the vent pipe was drawing in air so he placed it below water level.
due to a badly installed shower pump pipework. :idea:

Can you post a picture ?
Sorry, I did not have a camera when I was doing the job.

seco services said:
more like the vent pipe was drawing in air so he placed it below water level.
due to a badly installed shower pump pipework.
Thanks for the comments. How might the pump be (wrongly) installed in order that the vent pipe was drawing in air? Would this this setup be likely to give rise to problems in the future?

Sponsored Links
Pump should take hot water from the cylinder via a surrey or essex flange and not simply tees into the hotwater outlet, as this can cause aire to be sucked down the OV pipe, this is why it has been extended below the water line in the CWS tank, the problem should be properly rectified ;)

Pump should take hot water from the cylinder via a surrey or essex flange and not simply tees into the hotwater outlet, as this can cause aire to be sucked down the OV pipe, this is why it has been extended below the water line in the CWS tank, the problem should be properly rectified ;)
Right. Well the HW cylinder is in another room and, therefore, quite a distance from the bath, so no doubt it would have entailed a lot of work to instal the pump with a dedicated supply. I will mention this to my mate but I have not heard that the pump is performing incorrectly. Cheers.

transam said:
Is the fitting on the vent pipe a N.R.V ???
Stupidly, I did not look closely at this item - it was a bit tricky to get to that side of the cw cistern. I described it as a waste valve without the ring but perhaps it is an NRV. I will try to take another look at the cistern soon. Thanks alot. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back