Vents & Odours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we’ve moved into our first home (the 1st & 2nd floors of a Victorian mid terrace). Unfortunately we didn’t realise the downstairs neighbour was the worlds biggest stoner when we bought, the seller masked it very well.

I’m waking up to the smell of cigarettes and weed on the top floor despite having a whole floor between us. I think the smell is coming through the vents on the old chimney breasts. Help please! Can I block these vents?

It’s also definitely coming up through the floorboard in the boiler cupboard, but that’s an issue for and other time.

Please send advice!

Sponsored Links
Do not block any chimney breast vents in any room.
Perhaps you could post pics of any chimney breast where there are: "vents on the old chimney breasts"?

Flues from rooms below you are not vented in your rooms.
Each flue is independent from fireplace to chimney stack terminal.
So most unlikely that odours from below are coming out of your flue unless the dividing wall between flues (the "Feather") is breached.

As its a new flat why not have all your flues swept and smoke tested?

Who owns the block? If smells are moving between what should be compartment walls and floors then that's a fire risk that needs dealing with by whoever owns the structure.

Do not block any chimney breast vents in any room.
Perhaps you could post pics of any chimney breast where there are: "vents on the old chimney breasts"?

Flues from rooms below you are not vented in your rooms.
Each flue is independent from fireplace to chimney stack terminal.
So most unlikely that odours from below are coming out of your flue unless the dividing wall between flues (the "Feather") is breached.

As its a new flat why not have all your flues swept and smoke tested?

It's not a 'new' flat in the sense a modern one. It's 2 top floors of a Victorian terrace. i.e. over 100 years old probably.

Who owns the block? If smells are moving between what should be compartment walls and floors then that's a fire risk that needs dealing with by whoever owns the structure.
Unlikely to be compartmentalised as it's such an old building. Certainly won't be any fire-breaks between floors where pipes and cables pass through.
To the OP. Are you sure it's the guy below and not someone next door? Sometimes floor joists in old buildings go into the wall and project under the next door floor. This can create gaps through the brickwork allowing smells to come through. Nightmare if you live above a fast food outlet sometimes.

Sponsored Links
I know its not a "modern" new flat as my whole post and last sentence recognised and implied.

Thank you for putting us all in the picture (y) Now we understand your thinking.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back