Vertical crack in exterior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Bought a detached property 6 months ago and have noticed a vertical crack on one of the exterior walls. I will try and upload a picture later on.
The crack is roughly 6 feet high and has the same width and follows the motar line with no broken bricks.

The crack is roughly hairline to 2 mm MAX in diameter.

There are no cracks inside. It starts at the point where the chimney and garage meet approx. 12 feet up. Doesn't run below the garage roof level.
There are also no drains in the area.

The wall faces south south east if this helps.

The property is 1950s.

When I bought the property the environment report stated very low shrink/swell potential & overall very low ground movement potential.

I few months ago I have new facias which involved them setting up scaffolding around the property part of this rested on the garage roof – could this have contributed?

there are also no trees in the area.

I know this isn’t very helpful without photos but any few are appreciated. View media item 70999 View media item 71001 View media item 71001 View media item 71001 View media item 71001 View media item 71001 View media item 71000 View media item 71001 View media item 70999

Sponsored Links
Almost impossible to form an opinion based on some very zoomed in shots, its hard enough to see..

Take some longer zoomed out shots so we can see all of the wall/garage and any other influences..

Hairline to 2mm on a property over 60 yrs old? Hhhmm. If that's all you have to worry about then you can sleep easy.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back