Vertical cracks in chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help.

We have had some decent weather, so have been doing the usual post winter checks.
I have noticed vertical hair line cracks that run through brick and mortered joints in one of my chimney stacks. Have check in loft and does not appear to extend below roof line. No soot marks from cracks.
Cottage age from around 1820, was on exterier wall but extention put on in early 1970s so now with in the house proper.
Appears to have be rebuilt, possibly from the early 90s and also appears to have be repaired/repointed before.
I use this during the winter and have it sweeped once a year by a qualified sweep and liner appears to be in good condition.
There does not appear to be any signs of movement, it does not lean, the bricks are not spalling, of facing off and apart from the cracked bricks all others apperar in good condition.
I working on the assumption that this may be due to thermal expantion the causing the brick/morter to crack.
Obviously this wont cure its self and would like to get this sorted befrore wniter comes in and will be using the fire again.
Any ideas on a remady???

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back