1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Vertical 'designer' radiators

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by johnc86, 23 Dec 2018.

1. johnc86

johnc86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi. I am fitting a kitchen at the moment and I've just had the walls plastered. I took out the old radiator which I am planning to move to another wall. We have decided we want a vertical radiator.

Iv noticed that they nearly all have flow and return pipes that are designed to be fed into the radiator horizontally with pipes concealed behind dry wall or chased out of the brick. We didn't make provisions for this before plastering so I am wondering if these can be adapted to have the pipes coming out of the floor like conventional rads? I know it wouldn't look as good but I don't think it would detract from the look too much if its possible? Esp if chrome pipe was used.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    of course they can and that is the normal way to do it unless a new build, be aware though that unlike standard radiators where the flow and return can be at either end, on lots of column rads the flow is at a specific port as they have a baffle in them, so select the new rad and see which swide is the flow before running the pipes

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. johnc86

johnc86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Will do, mate. Cheers for that. Happy xmas :)

5. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As Ian above, they use standard angled valves for pipes that come out the floor... If you have pipes coming out the wall, you'd need corner valves or the TRV and lockshield would point towards the opposite wall and not up to the ceiling ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links