Very Heavy Radiator On Plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a wall done by the 'dot and dab' method. I then had a vertical radiator delivered which I was going to put on that wall BUT the radiator weighs 70kg (unfilled). There are just four small brackets. Can anyone tell me if the plasterboard (12mm) will take this weight? Or will I have to cut through it to get some more solid fixings on the brickwork behind it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Dont cut the board, drill through and use longer fixings, say a 4" screw.

;)

Sponsored Links
In a word: no
Was that, no it won't work, or, no you're not telling him?

or no you don't know? Wasn't helpful whatever he meant sooey :(

The Dot & Dab Boards won't hold the weight mate. You will need to get a more secure fixing. You may find it better to chop out a section where the brackets are going then fix a length of 4x3 spar or whatever size is suitable, to the solid wall behind then fix the rad brackets to the wooden spars. Use a spar that is just a bit larger than the brackets. If you make a neat job of cutting out the board and fixing a spar that is just the right depth to bring it flush to the board (you may need to shave it to get it just right), then you won't see any of this when the rad is mounted.

Just drill deep into the wall, add some raw plugs and suitably long screws. You might even get away with Fischer basin fittings (might have to drill larger holes in rad brackets).

I would also epoxy the raw plugs in to make life easier.

If in doubt I always run a bead of silicone down the fixing brackets.

The wall will come down before the brackets will come off the wall :LOL:

If you have breeze block behind the plasterboard, use chemical fixings using 8mm (or even 10 if you can get away with it) stud. Chemical fixing does not create stresses like a rawlplug does. Equally suited to brick and other masonry products.

Did one a couple of weeks ago. Rads were ready to fall off the wall. While rad is 'supported' by plasterboard, it is anchored into the breezeblock behind.

Thanks very much people. Thye general message is then that I'll have to bring the brick wall into play somehow. Thanks again. This has been really helpful. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back