Very old but brand new BICC 3/029 cable reels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any current use for this cable or is it just for scrap ? I assume it would no longer comply with current regs ? I have about 20 unused reels of BICC cable. size 3/029 Ref: 4491X and it is white and violet .
There are quite a few different colour combinations. The reel label shows 100 yards 250/440V PVC insulated cable made by British Insulated Callender's Cables Ltd, Helsby, Cheshire.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The red and black maybe sellable if you have it and it contains a third EARTH core, the obscure colours may sell for non mains electrical use possibly.
Stripping it is time consuming, but will pay a better scrap value

May have misread, is this single core, flexible cable them colours was generally for control wiring, could sell on Ebay for collection

Or eBay.

Colours aside, it's perfectly OK to use, and colours can be oversleeved at the terminations.

Why recycle when you can reuse?

Sponsored Links
I have just stripped a small section of the white and purple sleeve and there are 3 separate copper wire strands.
How would somebody use it ? There must be about 20 reels of assorted twin colours but i don't want to risk selling it on Ebay as I assume it does not conform to modern regs.
When I say twin colours - I mean there is one outer sleeve only and it is coloured white and purple.

Last edited:
Sounds like single core then, i quess you mean the single core is insulated with two colours white and purple, they possibly were used by someone that builds panels.
As they still use both metric and AWG sizes i don not see why 3.029 cannot still be used

Camera battery charging, but i will upload a photo of reel and cable asap.

The red and black maybe sellable if you have it and it contains a third EARTH core, the obscure colours may sell for non mains electrical use possibly.
Stripping it is time consuming, but will pay a better scrap value

May have misread, is this single core, flexible cable them colours was generally for control wiring, could sell on Ebay for collection

I will post a photo. It is single outer pc cable with two vertical purple lines either side on white cable. Inside are three separate copper strands.

I will post a photo. It is single outer pc cable with two vertical purple lines either side on white cable. Inside are three separate copper strands.
Yeah the pennys dropped
You have like this in various colours, but with 3 internal strands of copper
3 is the copper strands
029 is the imperial dimensions of the copper

upload_2017-8-27_19-53-41.jpeg

Photos attached

Attachments

• DSCF4597.JPG
    DSCF4597.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCF4599.JPG
    DSCF4599.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 326

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back