Very old but brand new BICC 3/029 cable reels

After that length of time, is the pvc still sound ? Does cable have a shelf life ? The short bit of pvc that I stripped from the copper core was flexible and sound and the reels have been kept in a dry building for all these years.
Provided it has not been stored at very extreme temperatures or exposed to UV light, I think PVC will probably outlive all of us in terms of its properties! PVC cables do not come with a specified shelf life. These days (but not back then) they have the date of manufacture written on them.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Can you weigh one of the coils, that will give you a guide price for scrap.
Postage will no doubt be costly, so its a bit of a niche market across the UK , let alone shropshire.
Selling as a job lot may be preferable,
It does seem a shame but scrapping, will get it done and dusted, its not all gloom, the copper will be reused, albeit possibly shipped off to china.
I have just weighed the reel and it weighs 2.4Kg. The reel is cardboard but the centre which holds the coil, is metal. I have no idea what the copper would weigh, a fraction of the reel weight no doubt. I have checked and there are approx. 30 reels of assorted mixes of colours: white/violet, white/yellow; yellow/grey; yellow/green; yellow/violet etc. If there is a use for it, it does seem a shame to scrap which is really the reason I posted to this forum for advice.

I have no idea what the copper would weigh,
Just over 1kg based on the wire size.
Scrap value next to nothing.
Even if stripped as clean wire perhaps £3 which wouldn't even cover the time involved to strip it in the first place, not to mention disposing of the mess and actually taking it to some scrap emporium.

Some make you break off the coil others dont care, the drum weighs nothing and the price they pay allows for the pvc weight.
I still reckon about 3 pound a coil so i reckon you will get at least 60 pound,
Most will price over the phone, just tell them its still got the pvc on and aprox 1.5 mm copper, there unlikely to know what 3.029 is
New scrap rules mean you need to show id and you wont get cash only cheque, but some bend the rules
As a guide
https://www.greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/

Sponsored Links
Some make you break off the coil others dont care, the drum weighs nothing and the price they pay allows for the pvc weight.
I still reckon about 3 pound a coil so i reckon you will get at least 60 pound,
Most will price over the phone, just tell them its still got the pvc on and aprox 1.5 mm copper, there unlikely to know what 3.029 is
New scrap rules mean you need to show id and you wont get cash only cheque, but some bend the rules
As a guide
https://www.greengatemetals.co.uk/scrapmetal/prices/
Many thanks for that it was very interesting. i think I will try a few reels on Ebay, emphasising the age of cable etc. and see what happens. If there is no interest then I will feel more comfortable and try the local scrapmerchants.
Again. really helpful so thank you.

Would someone buy 50 year old cable from e-bay?
A few years back there was a TV programme about eBay etc., and they tested out the theory that 'almost anything is sellable on eBay'. One example I recall is that they listed "a few short bits of old rope", or something like that, and got several bids!

Kind Regards, John

A few years back there was a TV programme about eBay etc., and they tested out the theory that 'almost anything is sellable on eBay'. One example I recall is that they listed "a few short bits of old rope", or something like that, and got several bids!
Was that Paul McCartney CDs?

But that is not the case.
This is what I am trying to establish.
As long as it is legal to use, then it will be legal to sell.
If it is not legal to use then of course I will send it for scrap.
I have been told various things - one of which is that it would not be legal to sell for electrical use - but I could use it in my own home but would not get insurance.
So - conflicting advice.

This is what I am trying to establish.
As long as it is legal to use, then it will be legal to sell.
It is and it is.

I have been told various things - one of which is that it would not be legal to sell for electrical use - but I could use it in my own home but would not get insurance.
You were told those things by people who didn't know what they are talking about.

Kind Regards, John

I wonder if anyone would buy some 70 year old rubber t+e?

I have a brand new coil of 32 year old 2L 1.5 orange pyro, any offers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back