Very old but brand new BICC 3/029 cable reels

Apparently some people buy cheat tat just to get the Ebay feedback , so they can look genuine and later scam someone

Sponsored Links
No :)

I recall the listing photo, which showed several (very) short pieces of rope, few more than one or two feet in length!

Kind Regards, John

C'mon an air guitar (case not included) sold on eBay for a fair bit. I am aware I am breaking the forum rules now.

Sponsored Links
A few years back there was a TV programme about eBay etc., and they tested out the theory that 'almost anything is sellable on eBay'. One example I recall is that they listed "a few short bits of old rope", or something like that, and got several bids!
Sounds like one I remember - and yes, he sold a short bit of old rope he'd found on the beach. Only problem is that the winning bid didn't cover his postage :rolleyes:
The buyer did say in his feedback that it was just what he needed for a job.

Like sailors of old, and the origin of the saying "money for old rope".
.... which is, of course, why the TV programme did what it did. In fact, I have a vague recollection that the program may have been titled (or, at least, that bit of it 'subtitled') "Money for old rope" !

Kind Regards, John

Ah, possibly this one from 2005
The Money Programme's EBay: Money for Old Rope? was broadcast on BBC Two on Friday, 25 February, at 1900 GMT.

I've found www.parcelmonkey.com useful for sending items that would otherwise be not viable via the post office, e.g. wheels, tyres etc,
Might be an option for somebody at the other end of the country that really wants the old cable for some reason for another.

If plugging carriers, I've just recently started using MyHermes, in part because I noticed a sign at the shop round the corner that they are a collection/dropoff point. The convenience of being able to drop off at a shop that's open till 8pm vs waiting in for a pickup - really useful.

I've found www.parcelmonkey.com useful for sending items that would otherwise be not viable via the post office, e.g. wheels, tyres etc,
  1. All they do is bulk-buy low(er) priority capacity from the likes of UPS, DHL, etc, repackage it and sell it on. They do not provide a single service which you cannot get, and get better, from the likes of UPS, DHL, etc. You may pay a little more (not a lot), but see #2.
  2. The service they provide is truly appalling, and it is so far from being worth putting up with to save the little you do that it beggars belief. I used them once. The "monkey" part of their name could not be more apt. I will never, ever, EVER use them again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back