Very small radiator leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I've just installed a new radiator - making use of the old valves. Everything is installed fine (although it was a very tight fit!), however I have noticed there is a very very small leak on the join on the lockshield valve side, where the valve insert screws into the radiator. I used plenty of PTFE tape and did it up as tight as I could. Are there any tricks or tips for sealing this up as I really don't want to have to remove the radiator again!

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
No the only way is to remake the joint properly, some idiot will come on and tell you to put leak sealer in your system, but dont do it, do the job properly

You can use too much PTFE tape so that it does not go into the joint and just gets pushed off as you screw the fitting in.

As a guide about 10 tight turns of PTFE tape should do the trick on most, but if you find it goes in very easy, redo it with 15 turns. Use less if 10 is too tight!

From your description I would think you may have a good joint there already so carefully check to make sure the leak is there and not at the union to the radiator valve. If the leak is at the valve union fitting which could be either a genuine union or a compression olive, just smear some boss white on the olive or union face before remaking the connection. I know some people put PTFE tale on the olive so you could do that instead.

As ianmcd has said, you need to make sure the joints are done properly although I appreciate it can be a real pain in an awkward situation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back