VH W854D-80 washer dryer error code E11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Machine only just over 1 yr old (by a couple of weeks). It is displaying E11 stated on Friday and now wont go away. Machine had the PCB and selector changed under warranty around a month ago. Have been onto manufacturer who have said that there will be a call out charge of £111 as we have no extended warranty if the fault is not attributed to the recent work carried out.

The reason for having the PCB changed on the first visit was due to the machine not balancing the load and going into self destruct mode (ie jumping around all over the place on 3 known occasions). What is the likely hood of it being attributed to the original failure ie so I dont get charged for the visit?

Is there anything I could check before they come out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
E11 points to a dryer heating issue. You could remove the lid & check that one of the dryer thermostats hasn't tripped & the heater element is ok. You need a multimeter. Power off first!

Got a multimeter so no problems there. Machine is currently on a program and failed at just under half an hour. Did manage to get it to spin and drain after the last E11. Program was cottons with a time of 2hr 3min that reduces to 1hr 40 after a short while. Obviously at this point the dryer is not active. So am I looking for short between heater element and ground and high resistance between the terminals. What readings am I looking for on the thermostats?

Really dont want them coming out to this if not related to what they done before as I am not going to throw £111 at it if it is un-related

PS on Sunday after the first E11 episode the missus has used it in dryer mode (had to get some kids clothes dried for a party) and this completed ok despite a previous E11 fault

Cheers

Update of symptoms. Wash programs are failing to finish, they fail at different points (half hour through 50 mins through etc). Rinse also fails but spin seems ok so far. Is this pointing to a broken wire or PCB issue or sensor. Obviously seeing that the machine had a big issue around 1 month ago where it virtually self destructed not sure if when the drum was hitting the sides and top of machine and had broken a sensor/ made a wire go HR.

Sponsored Links
I can't answer on any possible problems associated with the major issue you had fixed under warranty...there are too many variables. What I can tell you is a repeat of what I mentioned earlier + I know many that many of these models had issues with the heater NTC terminals shearing off because of vibration/poor design. This always results in an E11 error. You need to take off the lid & look at what I mentioned earlier. In addition to checking the heater continuity (30ish ohms) & continuity of both thermostats, take a look at the NTC connections at the front of the heater box. The amp terminals have a habit of breaking off under vibration. The design for NTC connections was changed in later models from ordinary spade connectors (amp terminals) to a plug fitting, a different NTC was also fitted. After checking the NTC connections you should check the NTC resistance & post it here...

heater is 40.6 ohms,NTC at the front of the machine 55k ohms, thermostats half way up the heater element .4 ohms (full continuity). Really appreciate your help will cancel engineer if something is out of tolerance as they are saying that I will have to pay even though it is only 2 weeks out of warranty if not related to last fault

SOLVED

took all the wires off and had a wiggle of them. One of the wires on the NTC felt not quite right during the wiggle test. One sharp pull and the wire broke so have crimped a new connector on and machine is currently working. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers

I kind of thought that might be your issue. The vibration from the first fault weakened the NTC connections. This is very common even under normal daily vibration. All new machines are fitted with an improved NTC & a more secure plug type connection. This is available as a modification set if you want to be totally sure, they don't cost very much. Let me know if you want the kit part number. Alternatively just keep an eye on things & if E11 pops up again you know what to look at first. Technically speaking you probably could have swung a guarantee by insisting the damage occurred during abnormal vibration. Most service engineers familiar with these models know about the design flaw :D

Would be great to have the revised part number. I think the wire used is sub standard for the amount of movement that it will be subjected to.

Thanks again potentially saved me £111

Yeah the wiring is weak but that isn't really the biggest problem. Vibration causes the connection to the spades to snap off (because the wiring is crap).
thhttp://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=41032989
http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=41032956
http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=41034449
You can get by without the bracket part but Hoover say they recommend it. Otherwise you get the new NTC & a male plug fitting with 2 cables. You fit the new NTC, cut the existing wires & butt joint the connections over to the new plug. Happy drying:cool:

Yeah the wiring is weak but that isn't really the biggest problem. Vibration causes the connection to the spades to snap off (because the wiring is crap).
thhttp://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=41032989
http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=41032956
http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=41034449
You can get by without the bracket part but Hoover say they recommend it. Otherwise you get the new NTC & a male plug fitting with 2 cables. You fit the new NTC, cut the existing wires & butt joint the connections over to the new plug. Happy drying:cool:

Hi there I have same problem with my hoover vhw654d can you please send me part numbers for my washing machine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back