sick toddler loads of wet washing and dryer not working,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly can I say what a godsend this site is and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this... i was wondering if any of you can help me? My 2 yr old daughter has become really sick and has this winter vomiting bug and is continuously being sick..to top it off last night as I was doing non stop washing with all the bedding,clothes etc.. my hotpoint condenser tumble dryer model CTD00G suddenly tripped the electrics so only the lights worked in the house.It had been on all day yesterday and then i tried a different plug socket,it tripped the electrics even when it wasn't turned on... all my other electrical appliances are working fine. I decided to leave it 24 hours and today I tryed it again and it woked for 2-3 seconds then tripped the electrics. i bought a new 13amp fuse and it still trips the electrics straight away and i tried it a few times.

the dryer is usually slotted under my work surface and is next to units either side - if this may help???

I noticed that when I pulled out the tumble dryer away the paint had peeled from the wall and dust had congealed under the appliance suggesting it may have at one point been damp but was dry to the touch.

I have done all the usual maintence and acleaned the fluff collector (so technical...lol) and the filter at the bottom front of the dryer and noticed it was damp but hardly any fluff... as i had cleaned it just over a couple of weeks ago.

the machine is just 2 years old and is now out of warranty, hotpoint want to charge me £100 and I really cant afford this, can anyone offer any suggestions. A friend said it sounds like my thermostat has gone but they arent very technical but they have said i will be better off getting a new dryer?? I now have my tumbledryer up against the radiator in the vain hope damp has got into the electrics and it will dry out, but if you could offer any opinions i would be extremely grateful

Kindest regards

Jo :O)

Sponsored Links
also I have just realised that the clear plastic tubing at the back of the dryer was not attached to the top, this must have been done when an engineer came out over a year ago when the drum was noisy!!!

water sprayed onto heater remove rear banjo at the back and use a hair dryer to dry it , also put hand in the big hole were the condenser goes and clean out the wet fluff right at the back .you must clean condenser with a hose though out and leave to dry overnight .

Hi rocks,

i will get my hairdryer out... I have just put my arm right in and pulled out loads of really wet gunk, now i will arm myself with the hairdryer and the unit is already drying as i cleaned it earlier,

right I took the screws off the back panel and lo and behold the metal insert for my bra fell out i can see the springs and they all look intact and the spinny thing is dry also, could this be what is making my machine short, -
Jo

Sponsored Links
yes bra wire shorting out, plug in and see what happens if ok after 5 mins you have a working dryer :LOL:

Hi,

:LOL: tumble dryer is now working :LOL:

but it is making a tapping sound on a few revolutions for about 30 seconds and then goes back to a normal level but the main thing is i can dry my little uns bedding

thank you ever so much for being so kind and considerate enough to help me, it is really appreciated.

Kind regards

jo

Another tip: when your condensor drier next goes wrong, consider replacing it with a vented (hose through wall) drier. They are cheaper to buy and run, more reliable, need less intervention, and do not release steam and humidity into your house which causes condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back