VIBRATING PIPES AFTER FLUSHING EITHER TOILET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I flush either of the toilets the noise/vibration is horrendous. I had new bathrooms installed probably about 2 years ago - it has just started recently. Mains water high pressure. Combi boiler so no water tank.
I hope you can help

Sponsored Links
Thanks ever so much for your replies. The pipes go under the floor - so not sure. They have isolation valves and I have turned these ten past and it has stopped the horrendously loud vibration - although the top floor loo flush is much louder than it ever used to be - sounds like a boiling kettle downstairs - sounds like air wooshing through pipes?

They have fluidmaster valves in loos. Wondered if it would help at all putting in new washers? Seems weird that they both started making noise at the same time - but the top floor one is definitely worse.

What is the jumper in main stop tap?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a fault on the float valve on one of the toilets, will reverberate throughout, would also check incoming mains cold water pressure sounds quite powerful, some of these new plastic toilet gubbins from B&Q can`t cope with a decent water pressure. Forget pipes that have not been clipped, that`s a gas fitters way of saying ``I don`t know, but I`ve heard this` :rolleyes: It`s water hammer.

As legion says, check float valves. Stepdaughter had this last year, changed valve assembly and cured it.

Thanks ever so much for your help and advice. The water pressure is strong. It is strange as just checked flat downstairs who are on same mains their loo was fine but their kitchen tap was really vibrating the pipes in both their and my flat when they used it. I have put isolation valves back to 12 o'clock again on my loos and its fine now. And their kitchen tap is not doing it now either.

Makes me wonder if something has happened to increase mains water pressure recently, and whether as the day is going on and more people are using water if it is easing the pressure and easing probiem?

Makes me wonder if something has happened to increase mains water pressure recently, and whether as the day is going on and more people are using water if it is easing the pressure and easing probiem?

It won`t be mains pressure it will be a fault in either your tanks or cisterns regulating flow pressure. The fault will persist until you find the fault, otherwise it would have always existed. It`s a float valve either in your toilet cisterns or main header tank in loft. It`s water hammer, a valve inlet that does not close completely when cold main to appliance does not shut down but `judders` to a halt.

Thanks Legion - I haven't got water tank - combi boilers. Just thought it seemed weird that appart from my toilets it was happening with downstairs kitchen tap.

our cold water pipes hammer like this ,only when washer in w/c cistern needs replacing! they cost pennies ,give it a try.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Loo's are fine now - but I have taken your advice about changing washers on board - thanks.

But it is now happening again when using the bottom flat kitchen tap - so will look into changing jumper in their stop tap. My first floor kitchen tap has a drip at moment (am awaiting new tap) so could be why its not happening with taps in mine as some pressure being reduced?

Thanks again - most appreciated

Thanks again for all your advice.

Loo's are fine now - but I have taken your advice about changing washers on board - thanks.

But it is now happening again when using the bottom flat kitchen tap - so will look into changing jumper in their stop tap. My first floor kitchen tap has a drip at moment (am awaiting new tap) so could be why its not happening with taps in mine as some pressure being reduced?

Thanks again - most appreciated

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back