Vibration and Loud noise when Central Heating turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning.
I have a problem with my hot water storage cylinder or central heating system I believe.
I can run my hot water and it works fine, I get hot water out of my taps no problems. However when I switch on my central heating (Thermostat set to around 18-20°C), after 10-15 minutes it sounds like my hot water tanks or the pipes around it start vibrating/shaking violently making an extremely loud noise and shaking the floor around the airing cupboard.
I'm not too sure how to best explain it. I have to rush to turn the CH off and it continues to make a loud rumbling noise for a few minutes then it dies down.

Im not at home at the moment and can't remember what hot water tank I have but I do know it uses a heating element rather than gas etc.

Has anyone experienced this at all and/or know of why it is doing it, with a solution to try to fix the problem? As the weather gets colder it is becoming more of a reason to turn my CH on but I'm not able to due to this problem.

Sponsored Links
you say you have central heating, so presumably you have a gas boiler.

In this case, why is the hot-water cylinder heated using an "element?" (you mean an immersion heater?) because energy from electricity costs four or five times as much as energy from gas.

I think the noise may relate to water pumping over in the small water tank in your loft.

Post some photos of the boiler, cylinder and tank, and the pipes, cables and controls around them. have a look in the loft while this noise is happening.

Is there any sign of water being ejected down the walls of your house?

Or is the boiler very old and badly maintained?

Sorry but what you say makes no sense.
When I switch on my central heating (Thermostat set to around 18-20°C), after 10-15 minutes it sounds like my hot water tanks or the pipes around it start vibrating/shaking violently making an extremely loud noise and shaking the floor around the airing cupboard.

I do know it uses a heating element rather than gas etc.

They are two completely and separate things, not connected in anyway to each other. An element uses electricity and I assume from your comment that the radiators are heated by a gas fired boiler.

Also your system is odd in that if you have a boiler and radiators it is not connected to the hot water system an you use an immersion heater to get hot water

Apologies.
I'd like to say I know what I'm talking about but I know nothing about heating or boilers.
I'm not looking to fix the problem myself but it is just to suggest to my landlord what needs to be done so he can organise it all. I will post pictures and models etc when I get home from work.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but what you say makes no sense.

They are two completely and separate things, not connected in anyway to each other. An element uses electricity and I assume from your comment that the radiators are heated by a gas fired boiler.

Also your system is odd in that if you have a boiler and radiators it is not connected to the hot water system an you use an immersion heater to get hot water
I think he saying he only uses the emmersion so not using the boiler, so only getting noise when using the boiler hence heating

Here are some pictures which might help with my poor explanation.

You all definitely know more about this stuff than I do so I won't attempt to explain everything, but IMG9 is where the loud banging and violent 'vibrations' are happing whenever I have the CH on.
On the controller, I put the HW and CH to on and give it a few minutes is when the noises begin. It doesn't happen when just HW is on.

EDIT: I should also note I am renting this property and the CH used to work from December until around April. Since then I did not use it during the summer months and now when I turn it on, the chaos ensues.

Attachments

• IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 525
  • IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 460
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 517
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 429
I have a problem with my hot water storage cylinder or central heating system

sorry its the landlords property not your property so why is repair information requested ? Unless the landlord has asked you to correct any fault and claim rent back.

(Thermostat set to around 18-20°C) depending where you are in this green and pleasant land,the set temperature needs consideration with radiators allowing sufficient circulation to work.

Its fixable :!:

I was wrong.

Except that the cylinder should be heated by the boiler, and not by an electric immersion heater. Switch it off, unless you have money to burn.

Where is the leak coming from, and why haven't you had it fixed?

It's an unvented cylinder, so it needs a qualified engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back