Victorian Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently moved into a Victorian terrace which has two loft rooms in the attic.

The attic has original Victorian dormers and after starting to strip out I can see there are original Victorian floorboards up there. However the floor is deflecting in both rooms and is built on joists which are 100×50mm. The house was built in 1877 so as far as I can tell it's been like this since it was built?

I had a structural engineer take a look and their recommendation was to sister joists that are 175 x 50mm in size to the existing joists. The attic has a proper staircase and there's plenty of ceiling height

However given the age of the building and the fact that it's survived 150 years in its current form I'm wondering whether I might be able to simply replace any joists that might have twisted or have issues and add noggins throughout to strengthen which would be a lot less invasive than trying to add brand new joists in throughout.

I thought perhaps the conversion had happened in the last 30 years and they just cut corners by not upgrading the joists but it does look like this was how it was done originally.

I've attached a couple of photos from the Estate Agent to show the rooms just for reference (not our decor and furniture!)

thanks!

Attachments

• 4319_32011416_IMG_09_0000.jpeg
    4319_32011416_IMG_09_0000.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 4319_32011416_IMG_08_0000.jpeg
    4319_32011416_IMG_08_0000.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
You would normally double up joists either side of the affected joist to take the additional load. Noggins won’t help if all the joists are potentially affected. Did the SE consider a steel/timber beam supporting the joists at mid point, installed in room below? That might involve less disruption.

Blup

Hi Blup,

Thanks for your response, the SE didn't suggest supporting from below, that would definitely be more disruptive but I guess I need calculations as to whether that would suffice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back