Video and Audio links to door bell ideas please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would seem my mothers door bell cheap wireless is being activated by something else other than the door push button and since she is disabled I need to replace it so she does go to answer the door when no one is there.

The idea of intercom or video link may be a good idea with web cams rather cheap now but she does not use the PC so more interested in TV link. My bird box has video and sound to TV into SCART and maybe there is a cheap way to do same for front door?

I should meet with social services soon and will ask them for advice but often there are pre-made cheap items but just do not know the name for Google search to find them.

Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
It would seem my mothers door bell cheap wireless is being activated by something else other than the door push button and since she is disabled I need to replace it so she does go to answer the door when no one is there.
All wireless devices are prone to interference. With some models it will make them ring. With others it will prevent them from ringing.

The idea of intercom or video link may be a good idea with web cams rather cheap now but she does not use the PC so more interested in TV link. My bird box has video and sound to TV into SCART and maybe there is a cheap way to do same for front door?
I don't understand.

Any ideas please.
How about a conventional doorbell with push-button, twin flex and transformer?

My bird box has video and sound to TV into SCART and maybe there is a cheap way to do same for front door?

Yes, any small CCTV camera wired to a scart input on the TV.

If you want one with an intercom then use an ordinary door intercom system and take its video output to the TV scart input.

Micromark did CCTV cameras with an intercom feature; not current product but still available on ebay etc eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150993727968

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Looking at CL6011B at the moment but not sure what level to go for. It would seem I can have a door push ring the cordless phone and allow intercom between the two which seems a good idea.

However when I started to price it cost more for just door push then a door push with intercom hand set or cordless phone.

As I started to look further it then seemed with the intercom separate from phone a push button can be used on the intercom to release the door. Although not required at the moment getting a system which can be expanded would seem the way to go even if it does mean two hand sets rather than just the cordless phone on the table.

One question is when combined with phone what happens when some one presses door bell while one is on the phone? One other draw back is it would seem pressing bell will only ring one phone not all four and at the moment she has two sounders.

I will wait until talked with social services but this does seem a valid method of replacing the door bell.

However the camera kit is cheaper but it requires a lot more fitting. Comments welcome it is bouncing of ideas which really helps selecting a good system.

Sponsored Links
As I started to look further it then seemed with the intercom separate from phone a push button can be used on the intercom to release the door. Although not required at the moment getting a system which can be expanded would seem the way to go even if it does mean two hand sets rather than just the cordless phone on the table.

One question is when combined with phone what happens when some one presses door bell while one is on the phone? One other draw back is it would seem pressing bell will only ring one phone not all four and at the moment she has two sounders.

The systems which interface with the phoneline (which the above does NOT) have a box between the phone and the line, so will work with all phones (incl cordless) run through the interface box. They present an 'intercom call waiting' tone when the user is on an outside call. User has to dial a code to switch between intercom and phoneline, or to release the door. This may be an unnecessary complication.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back