Video Door bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy one but don't have a clue what to look for or how to fit it. Any suggestions or advice for a good one. Don't want the cheapest but don't want to spend a fortune either. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately thats very vague.

If you want as a doorbell only then 1080 resolution should be fine.
If it’s exposed make sure it’s ip rated for the weather.
Avoid PIRs if it’s very sunny as the lens covers can crack due to UV exposure.

hardwired for power is probably better than plain battery powered as you will be charging up every few months.

Then it’s cloud storage, sd card storage or recording to an NVR.
a few door bells are up to 5MP and dual band WiFi.

It comes down to what you want from it and how much you want to spend.

ring charge for cloud storage as do some others but efuy don’t currently at least. Ezviz will record on hik nvr 24 7.

unless you have a list of wants/needs it’s impossible to get the best fit.

Sponsored Links
Also be aware that some door bells will not work with the existing chime.

The amazon Ring requires Amazon Ring Chimes that are plugged in to a wall socket. The Google version will work with existing chimes. I have no experience of working with other brands.

Assuming that you already have a wired door bell, the existing wires will probably be sufficient to carry the current required current but if the existing door chime is battery powered, you may need to buy a transformer and enclosure for the transformer.

I recently had to fit a Ring for a customer. I used the old cables for the broken door intercom. They terminated in a cupboard under the stairs. I used the transformer provided by Ring and put that in an enclosure

https://www.toolstation.com/wylex-2-module-enclosure/p31929

I then used a length of flex and put a fused plug on the end to provide power to the transformer.

If you buy a "cheaper" brand, check to see how and where the video is stored. The more expansive ones will enable you to (see and) talk to anyone that presses the door bell button whilst you are out (via your phone etc).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back