Viessmann Vitodens 200-W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm considering having the Viessmann Vitodens-W combi boiler installed but wanted to know if anyone has seen one or installed one, since they're very new to the market.

Is the weather compensation option really worth it (an extra £150 in my case)? With this option I heard that although it feels warm in the house, the radiators don't feel that hot which doesn't help with drying clothes. I do use the rads to help dry clothes. I know this isn't the only factor to consider, so thoughts and peoples experience with weather comp is appreciated.

Thanks!

Paresh.

Sponsored Links
Is the weather compensation option really worth it (an extra £150 in my case)? With this option I heard that although it feels warm in the house, the radiators don't feel that hot which doesn't help with drying clothes. I do use the rads to help dry clothes. .

The occasional towel is ok, but if you use radiators to dry clothes you risk having very serious mould problems in the house due to all the moisture. Get a tumble dryer or a washing line.

The savings from the weather comp will prob balance the running costs of an tumble dryer. Of course you could get a gas tumble dryer....:)

I have a washing line but it's not so good in this weather! I am considering a de-humidifier though to help with the moisture.

Invest in a White knight Gas tumble drier, it will cost no more than a dehumidifier!

I would not be without mine,Very economical to run and clothes take far less ironing!!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Is the weather compensation option really worth it (an extra £150 in my case)? With this option I heard that although it feels warm in the house, the radiators don't feel that hot which doesn't help with drying clothes. I do use the rads to help dry clothes. I know this isn't the only factor to consider, so thoughts and peoples experience with weather comp is appreciated.

Thanks!

Paresh.

I'm currently looking at offering weather compensators as part of boiler changes.

Spoke with Vokera Tech the other day re their Unica boiler and WC set up and the guy told me they had loads of complaints (re drying clothes on rads in the summer) about them because the WC won't allow the heating to come on in the summer and it seems the only way to disable the WC on Vokera boilers is to disconnect the WC from the boiler.

Also looked at the Valiant stuff and they do seem to allow you to turn off the WC feature in order to bring the heating on in the summer.

Also spoke with Worcester tech who told me that they don't offer WC because the software in the boilers are not set up for them and there is apparently no demand ,according to Worcester, which ,frankly,I find astonishing.

However with the recent announced fuel price rises the WCs are got to be worth considering since they can save you around a further 15% on fuel costs.

Don't know anything much about the Viessman boilers though but did read a thread on here that said they were not very good.

Cheers.

Don't know anything much about the Viessman boilers though but did read a thread on here that said they were not very good.

Cheers.

You must have misread!

Most people think that the Viessmann is one of the bast boilers on the market.

Cheers.

You must have misread!

Most people think that the Viessmann is one of the bast boilers on the market.

No general consensus of thread was that they are dumbing down for the UK market and generally the boilers are now poor with lots of problems.

Sounded like Vokera back in the early nineties.

Worked on a couple, well engineered and thought out. they are up there with a worcester i would say BUT....will they last in the market therefor what will the parts availability be like in 10 years??

Worked on a couple, well engineered and thought out. they are up there with a worcester i would say BUT....will they last in the market therefor what will the parts availability be like in 10 years??

Up there with Worcester?, I have to disagree, Viessmann are far superior to Worcester, not even in the same league.

Worcester do not even have the option of weather compensation with their boilers, condensing boilers are pointless without weather compensation

I'd agree with what billy bob says.

My Parents have a Worcester 30CDi, its not bad.

1. the WB jig is not good if you have top flow and return pipes and a gas pipe from below.
2. WB has a ally heat exchanger
3. The Viessmann exchanger is stainless steel
4. Viessmann connections are all DIN sized. So you'll have to get adaptors
5. Vitodens has modulation range of 1:4
6. Viessmann tech support is hit and miss. - really depends on who you get
7. Getting Viessmann Spares is not easy - this is my findings, may have changed now.

If you can hold out i'd wait for the W300 to come out.

If you are a registered installer then Viessmann will give you an emergency set of main spare parts!

If Sanjj wants to use someone else then he misses out on the advantage of a proper person.

Tony

Have fitted a couple of 200,s and a couple of 100,s in the last month, build quality is how things used to be when Britain built good gear, five year parts and labor warrantee is reassuring. ( only avaliable if installer has been on Viessmann course)

Weather temperature compensation enables the boiler to run at its most economical settings so reduces your gas consumption.

Yes the 100 range is what you might call a dumbed down 200 but thats the English publics own fault for not valuing their heating/hot water system. Apparently very compact boilers that can be hidden in a kitchen cupboard is not the sort of thing that they do in Germany.

Although the 100 range is not compatible with the weather temperature compensation kit it is still a far supperior product when compared to other stuff on the market.

Tim

Vitodens 100 is not as good as it should be, we have a 30% failure rate in 2007. They have just started fitting a different ignition component which improves the F4 fault situation. It is nearly a good product.

200W is a revised 200 series that looks good internally and is fitted with Lamda sensors and a revised ignition, we have only fitted a few, they became available in Dec 06.

Contrary to our DIY poster S Varah (who has fitted ONE boiler, which is obsolete), Viessmann UK will drop the 300 series in the UK later this year and the 200 range will be expanded into larger outputs. 300W will not come to the UK unless the UK marketing department can be persuaded otherwise. Viessmann are not DIN sized connectors, they are standard UK plumbing sizes.

I believe in weather compensation in the right application but claims of a 40% saving against a standard condenser are ludicrous. Another example of misleading 'information' posted on forums by the uninformed.

Sanj varah wrote

I reckon I save about 4% in gas over non-weather comp.

Yep. Sounds about right.
Correctly set up they will acheive savings like this.
I know one controls engineer with a top end commercial system installed in his home and his savings are in the 4 percent bracket.
In fact I am going to a large property(new build) right now which will have one of these high end systems installed.

The Corgi registered installer I found on the Viessmann website has been fitting them for about 2 years now and is Viessmann trained, so the boiler would be guaranteed for 5 years. The 2 other heating engineers that work with him have been on the training course at Viessmann just this month. He is also offering the 6 years corgi backed guarantee in the price, which is very competitive to other quotes I have received. The installer is going to provide me with 2 references, one who happens to live a few miles from me.

Sanj, I should be able to expect 40% saving without weather comp since my current boiler is over 20 years old. My house is double glazed and loft is insulated. Not sure about cavity insulation is it was built in the 1930s.

With weather comp, is it best to run the boiler 24 hours a day? And can i have the heating on in the summer? The last question may seem stupid, but i did have it on a few times last summer as it was quite cold on some evenings!

Of concern is whether Viessmann will still be in the UK in 10 years time, and therefore limited or no parts availability. I understand they're a private family company and may decide in the future that the UK market is not for them.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Paresh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back