Villa Nova wallpaper paste dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hubby has just got everything ready to put the first piece of Villa Nova vinyl paper up and found a warning on instructions not to use self mix vinyl paste (He's mixed Solvite) as it may damage the metallic element in the paper. It was an expensive purchase so we have a dilema. He must start today due to time restraints. Got carpets and furniture arriving next week. Does anyone know of any damage caused doing this? They say the alkaline damages the paper so must use solvent free Romo premium adhesive. He has actually sized the walls using thinned Solvite too :-/ This was not mentioned on the site when purchasing. Cannot afford to ruin this as it cost a lot of money. Any experiences would help.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Romo Premium adhesive is ready mixed, I don't see why you cant use any other ready mixed adhesive to be honest. If the Romo adhesive is too dear I would still use Solvite, Polycell, etc ready mixed adhesive. These may be cheaper to buy.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think he should avoid the self mix Solvite all together? He's already put up two pieces!
It has only got little touches of metallic effect. It is mainly ordinary vinyl as far as I can tell.
I wouldn't worry so much if it wasn't so expensive!
Seems to have stuck OK although the edges dry out pretty quickly so need extra attention.

The normal Solvite will stick practically all papers and I use it all the time. However if the makers are asking for a ready mixed adhesive, I would use it. Probably Solvite ready mixed. You might have to adjust your soaking time a little as the ready mixed paste doesn't soak the paper as much and might start to dry on the edges if left too long.

Sponsored Links
I find it hard to accept that a reputable branded paste like Solvite doesn't say on the packet "do not use with metallics"
However, I am a cautious person and do will do as you suggest. Thanks

To be fair you might get away with it, then again you might not. Sometimes the additives in the paste can make the metallic bits to rust behind the paper and bleed through.
There are so many different types of papers out there that they cant list everyone that they can be used on the ones they cant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back