Villiers

The two stroke was my dream as a teenager, I just felt there was so much to tap into with the extra power stroke in four... Took a few years, then they had to rewrite the bike racing rules, even pitching the 350cc Strokers in among the 500 four strokes in an attempt to even things up.
Reed valve ...
Then a little later, the screech of the motor and the 'clutch hand practice catching flies' (catching seizures) became a chore, I recentred toward the four stroke ... But I still like the simplicity and induction, turbine like, sound from the old Villiers 2T - an engine ahead of it's time.
Cotltsd.jpg
The 247cc Cotton Conquest 1965
The Cotton "conquest'' which Derek Minter and Peter Inchley took to a class victory in the 1965 500-mile race at Castle Combe, becomes the fastest 250 we have ever tested. It averaged 91.9 mph round the 3-mile banked circuit of MIRA'S proving .ground, Previous best was the 86.0 mph of the Honda "Dream SS': However, this "conquest'' is a road-going racer, with questionable silencing and primitive lights, just conforming to Road Traffic Act requirements and production-machine- racing regulations.
I was there, that very day .... at 'The Combe'...

My nostalgia centres here on me old 'Norman' range.
DSC00005.jpg

No car or possession ever matched owning the first motor-bike and joining the 'petrolheads' ... freedom !! Looked very neat for early 60's too !!
:D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Shows how things change: the Aprilia RS125 is (was?) capable of over 100 (a tuned example in our local showroom was reckoned to have 37bhp and reach 115mph).

Not bad, a specific output of nearly 300bhp/litre! If only they could get that out of the larger 4-stroke bikes: 400bhp Hayabusa anyone? :LOL: Or cars even, a 1000bhp BMW M3 would go down a treat :LOL:

Wonder if the internal combustion engine will last long enough that pneumatic valves will make it to volume-production road cars?

Formula 1 racing engines have done away with valve springs by using compressed gas to return the valves. This was pioneered by Renault in the 1986 season and has enabled F1 engines to go at rpms hitherto unbeknownst to man. The idea of the pneumatic valve return system is pretty simple: a cushion of compressed air or nitrogen is maintained under a ring around the valve stem. The system comprises a gas cylinder charged initially to something like 15 MPa, a main gas line, one-way valves, pressure regulators and an oil scavenging system. The main advantage is reducing the reciprocating mass in the valve assembly and eliminating the spring as a vulnerable element.
camless.gif

Link to What did he know ?

Link to It's all going on
It is all nearer the street than you may think !!

Link to Neat Info
:idea: :idea: :idea:

Interesting Pip, makes me wonder with that pneumatic system whether there is any need for valves at all? if equalisation of the inlet outlet chambers is say controlled by a micro proccesor at the critical time of combustion using this gas theory then the explosion could be contained in the chamber and then the release of pressure in the outlet chamber would allow the exhaust gases to escape the ports would have discs (ceramic?)instead of valves stems or such like , these discs would be flap rather like the old clapper systems used in sewerage control but obviously on a smaller scale. no need for springs or suchlike the action of opening and closing being made purely by pressure.

Do i win an award for innovation? :)

Sponsored Links
talking of amazing engineering...

Anyone ever seen this: Linky

(Large media file requiring real media)

Just amazing! Hope you like!

PS, anyone know how to download this file?

kendor said:
Interesting Pip, makes me wonder with that pneumatic system whether there is any need for valves at all? if equalisation of the inlet outlet chambers is say controlled by a micro proccesor at the critical time of combustion using this gas theory then the explosion could be contained in the chamber and then the release of pressure in the outlet chamber would allow the exhaust gases to escape the ports would have discs (ceramic?)instead of valves stems or such like , these discs would be flap rather like the old clapper systems used in sewerage control but obviously on a smaller scale. no need for springs or suchlike the action of opening and closing being made purely by pressure.

Do i win an award for innovation? :)
Fluid flows, obstructions, sealing - nightmare..
Leaning toward two-stroke --- I don't think strokers are allowed now .. Not sure of that.
I know Cos(tin)(Duck)worth once said the ultimate F1 motor would be V8 two-stroke .. They never pursued that AFAI Know.

Time to revisit gas turbine, perhaps ?

Or just leave it all to the Renault bods .. By gosh if they should ever combine the Nissan reliability with their undoubted flair for innovation ..

Did anyone see where the Ilmor-merc guy poured water on the Renault valve idea in the past ?
Good on the Renault bosses backing dreams .... They really are pushing the boundaries for everyday motors ...
;)

mildmanneredjanitor said:
talking of amazing engineering...

Anyone ever seen this: Linky

(Large media file requiring real media)

Just amazing! Hope you like!

PS, anyone know how to download this file?

Couldn't play the file ??? ferrari312.rmm
ferarri312t3.jpg

Thought you were lost in the 7dayshop MMJ :D Saw you elsewhere pointing there for batteries - cheers ;)
p

pipme said:
Thought you were lost in the 7dayshop MMJ :D Saw you elsewhere pointing there for batteries - cheers ;)
p

:?:
I think we should all refer to you from now on as the riddler! You got me on that one!

Truth is, I started to find the site becoming a little tiresome... So found a new home, I guess I have an addictive nature... :confused: Cos I now spend too much time there!!!

If you want a clue, I can now see the loft floor? ;)

PS. Download Real Media player, tis worth it!

Ok MMJ saw the 312PB movie .... what a car, unbelievable brilliant, the sound too !! It impressed Jeremy C alright !!

Sometime around very early 70's I saw a sports protoype race at Thruxton, Helmut Marko in the big 'rumbling' Porsche was the combo to beat .. An Italian named Arthuro Merzario drove the 312PB flat 12, of this I am as certain as I can be after 35 yrs or so, the sounds of the 312PB reflected it's engine's F1 parentage and that was unforgettable ! The Ferrari retired hurt, but Merzario had really gone for it, leading for a while in the wailing 12 cylinder boxer... The odds of course were stacked as the Porsche was ahead in terms of development and pretty much battle hardened...
I just cannot believe that the 312PB was the subject of the model maker in the movie.. I also, never forgot that car !! How did he get the sounds from the self built boxer motor? Incredible !
If I won the lottery I would make him an offer he just might not be able to refuse ...
B_42.2.jpg

P

Correction !! Ferrari 312 PB was 180° V engine, essentially 'flat' but with two pistons sharing the same crank pin, hence one piston going up it's bore as the other comes down ...
A true 'Boxer' is also 'flat' but each piston has it's own crank-pin... opposing pistons travel up and down their respective bores together -- Both moving out, then both returning.

Made a wonderful cacophony whatever !!

When the diesel spins up to 24000 rpm in it's camless guise .. will it be time to run for (cam)cover(s) ? ...

.. world away from high-revving trackday fun is Lotus Engineering's low-carbon sportscar concept, called Eco2s. It features a 1.2-litre diesel engine with four valves per cylinder, camless valve operation and very high pressure common-rail fuel injection. At present the car exists only as renderings and a series of projected figures (0-62mph in 6.2 seconds, 124mph top speed). The project is designed to showcase Lotus Engineering's capabilities, and Lotus hopes to sell certain elements of the design to larger manufacturers who will have to adhere to strict CO2 emissions constraints by 2010. Most amusing feature is Active Noise Control which synthesises a rorty engine note. Maybe soon you'll be able to specify a Smart car with a V8 soundtrack..

LINK Here
:D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back