Vinyl in bedrooms on wooden subfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has experience with laying vinyl in bedrooms on a wooden subfloor? I'm looking at wood effect ones that are around 2-3 mm thick as a cheaper alternative to laminate.

The subfloor has boards on it, not plywood, so there are a few gaps between them etc. I understand that if I put vinyl on top, it won't look good because of the imperfections beneath, or does that depend on the thickness of the vinyl? Do I need to use an underlay? If so, what is the cheapest "good enough" option? Does it need to be fibreboard or something else?

Grateful for any advice! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hardboard is fine pinned or stapled to the floor (check the length of pins against your floor board depth!), now I have seen one job where the joints were taped with masking tape and the tape discolored the vinyl I have never seen it anywhere else but as a precaution I would suggest you lay I think it's called paperfelt. It's like a thin cardboard lining paper over the hardboard and tape. If you ask in an independent carpet shop they will know exactly what you mean what the school leaver in the big chains will do is blink and say "na computer says no!".

Paperfelt would be fine on it's own if the floor was really good but most older houses need hardboard.

Sponsored Links
Yes fine glossy side up leave it laying flat in the room for at least 24 hours to acclimatize. some say dampen it before leaving flat but I don't do that personally I don't think it helps but others may come on and disagree.
Just try to get boards as free from warping as possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back