Vinyl or Acrylic paint for Internal walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I hope to use Johnstones paint in a matt colour for all the internal walls at my parents house.

Question is, if acrylic is still considered the best paint type out there? When I had my own house done, about two years ago, I used Johnstones Acrylic as it was thought better than viny.

The plastering is full of ripples and chop marks there are a couple of 1mm max wide cracks too..... Any recommendations on what to use to fill over these? Can I use "decorators caulk" as sold in cartridges by SCREWFIX?

I will buy all the rest of the products from Johnstones to maintain integrity between components (primers,undercoats etc).

Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
The acrylic is more hardwearing than vinyl and is far more suitable for kitchens, bathrooms etc. It can also be used on woodwork whereas vinyls cannot (shouldn't be).
As for filling, don't use caulk in cracks as it cannot be sanded and will stand out when painted due to it's different texture. It is designed for gaps around perimeters, ie door frames, windows, coving, etc.
Fine cracks should be widened slightly with a stanley blade or similar before being filled with a proprietary filler (powdered or ready mixed).

thank you.

can you give me an idea what a proprietery filler?

I always prefer to use Polycell Trade Fillers but you also won't go far wrong with the likes of Tetrion, Toupret or Red Devil, amongst others.

EDIT:
Just remembered you said there are a lot of ripples, marks etc in the plaster. If you have a lot of filling/levelling out to do you may be better off using EasiFill (ideal for bulk filling) which is very easy to work with and sands brilliantly.

Sponsored Links
Thank You again for good information. Your input helped me greatly when I had to do some work on my own house an year or more, ago.

I love this site.

Regards
udhi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back