Violent banging!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After doing alot of googling and seeing these foums come up I've decided to join and see if you guys can help me out.

I have a pretty old Baxi WM38 wall mounted boiler with cylinder tank. It provides both central heating and hot water together.
When the heating (can hot water) comes on in a morning pretty soon after the boilder fires up I get a loud banging somewhere between the boiler and tank. Later this starts to make banging noises in the airing cupboard. Finally the radiators start to bang - this is so loud that you can feel them when layed in bed.

Not of the radiators have air in them. (I have bled them at several times when the heating is both on and off).

The pipe after the pump was making a weird noise a while back which I think was the frequency of the pump vibrating and this made it quieter. The pump has always been audible from downstairs though.
Recently the pump is very hot to touch, perhaps even hotter than the pipe coming in to it. I don't remember it being like this. Its also not as loud as before.

Another thing I've noticed it the boiler is doing rapid firing before it finally stops firing.

After doing some reading I'm veering towards the pump being faulty but not sure what you think. I am unsure how this could cause the banging between the boiler and cylinder AND radiator banging too?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add that the radiators, although perhaps taking longer to warm (I might be imagining this) are getting warm and the house it getting up to 20oC.

ok, thanks. Am i right in thinking I turn the heating off then unscrew the front of the pump. Should water just spill out?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the F&E tank?

Even if its full bleed a little water out and see if the level falls and it refills.

Tony

That the big black tank in my attic? Its has a ball cock in. It it as full as ever but I'll check when I get home that it fills. Shall I just get a jug and take some water out of it?

Do you have two tanks in the attic?

Large one is the cold water storage tank for water consumption, smaller is the feed and expansion tank for heating.

Bleed or drain water from downstairs rads to ensure water from F&ET will fill system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back