virgin media / telewest box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi not to sure if this the right place to put this... but i wish to remove the virgin media broadband isolation box for decorating, but there 2 security nuts/screws on the cover. only way i can describe them is a 'proud torx/star head' anyone know the name of this screw/nut type and where i could locate one.. just trying to avoid a call-out charge from the cable guys..

help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Make sure those are the correct ones. My cable box has essentially a male torx head therefore you will need female (i.e socket) type torx drivers. Sorry don't know where you get them from but I used long nose pliers to undo mine.

Can't you jam a flat blade screwdriver in between some of the 'points' of the hex? I've certainly done this a fair few times to remove security screws.

Hi,
WhenI've had to take these silly boxes off I use one of these security bit - could be described as 'Fork' type - but dunno proper name.

Like this
1002787yw2.jpg

You would usually get them in a security bit set from screwfix, hardware shop, Maplins etc.

Joe

Before security bit sets were as available as they are now, a trick to do those fork ones was to take an old flat headed acrewdriver and cut a bit out of it :)

Still had to struggle on by with a flat screwdriver placed diagnoally across a torx head screw the other day when repairing my vaccuum cleaner as the screw was recessed down a hole that was too narrow to fit a security bit down :evil:

My NTL box just has normal flat headed screws tho :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back