Removing unused Telewest/Virgin Media phone socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm preparing to skim the walls in my living room, and want to remove an old, unused phone socket that's in the way. I've tested it with a phone and it's dead (our landline now comes through the Virgin V6 box).

I'm tempted to cut the cable back flush with the wall and plaster over it. I did wonder whether or not there's any electrical current coming through it though. Can I check this with a multimeter? If so, how exactly do I do that?

Sponsored Links
I'm preparing to skim the walls in my living room, and want to remove an old, unused phone socket that's in the way. I've tested it with a phone and it's dead (our landline now comes through the Virgin V6 box).

Your phone now comes from the Hub, not the V6 box. But the principle is the same. The separate phone connection will be dead and you can cut it back without any harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back