Removing old Telewest cable

Sponsored Links
Cut the cable inside the junction box so you can make it look tidy. Just don't cut the coax only the phone line.
As in these cables right (highlighted in red crosses)? The coax being the thick broadband one right?

Attachments

• cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 260
Post photos of both external connection points.
The photos on the original point details all the connection points - inside house, outside cable running through, telewest junction box. From the junction box, the cables just run underground.

Unless I'm missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Cut the cables outside in the External brown box just underneath the Jelly Crimps so the cable serving you could still be used. Remove it all, looks a p Poor installation anyway! I used to work for Telewest in West London to Maidenhead and some of the contractors were pretty Sh!t

Cut the cables outside in the External brown box just underneath the Jelly Crimps so the cable serving you could still be used. Remove it all, looks a p Poor installation anyway! I used to work for Telewest in West London to Maidenhead and some of the contractors were pretty Sh!t
The cables looked pretty messy, even for someone who knows absolutely nothing about this! But I was much more scared by the MASSIVE spider nest I found inside (photos were after cleanup..), must have been a good hundred of the little buggers running around!! Mum-spider didn't looked pleased either!

Would you be able to highlight specifically where to cut the cable? Just trying to avoid any pains for myself in the future (also highlighting how little I know about this stuff...).

Thank you!

So, I opened the Telewest socket to have a look, and I was surprised to find 2 cables! (image attached)

The black one goes outside my property, as shown in the previous pictures of this topic, but I have no idea what the grey/top cable is and where it leads to! It follows along/inside the uPVC of my front door!

As far as I can tell, this cable does not come out of the property at all! Wtf is this thing?

Attachments

• 2cables.jpg
    2cables.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 258
Is it the master socket where the black cable is the feed from outside and the other grey 4 core goes to one, or more, extension sockets. I had one similar to that on my old BT system.

Is it the master socket where the black cable is the feed from outside and the other grey 4 core goes to one, or more, extension sockets. I had one similar to that on my old BT system.
Thing is, I have another Virgin/Telewest feed into my house, similar to this:
Virgin%20Media%20Wall%20Socket.jpg

This is where the braodband coax comes in, and is what we use for internet.

There are no other sockets in the house. Mystery cable. I can't really pull it out as it would damage the sealant around the front door.

That looks the same as the box I have from when I had Virgin. The incoming cable splits with one cable to my phone socket, one to thy Tiveo box for the TV and another to my modem.
You may be interested to know that when I had Virgin installed I simply cut the old BT cable outside my house, I left it with the two cores separated and wrapped in insulation tape. When I decided to go back to BT I drilled a hole in my wall, put in a length of flexible conduit to a box in my hall and another length of conduit up to my loft, I put a 6 core phone cable from the box in the hall to my office where I wanted the new BT box. The Openreach engineer simply jointed a new length of cable to the one outside, ran it through the conduit, made a joint inside, fitted a master socket, all neat and tidy. The old BT cable had been rouuted through my bathroom window frame and round the skirting which I did not want.

I can only assume the mystery cable used to run somewhere in the house and must have been cut to make way for the other BT sockets that were put up (we pulled those out and plastered over).

Only way to find out is when we decide to move the door forward I guess (this is part of the work we want to do to our hall), only then will be able to gut out this cable properly.

The cables looked pretty messy, even for someone who knows absolutely nothing about this! But I was much more scared by the MASSIVE spider nest I found inside (photos were after cleanup..), must have been a good hundred of the little buggers running around!! Mum-spider didn't looked pleased either!

Would you be able to highlight specifically where to cut the cable? Just trying to avoid any pains for myself in the future (also highlighting how little I know about this stuff...).

Thank you!
Just underneath the clear jelly crimps or where your Red crosses are on your photo - you don't have to be that accurate!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back