piggy-backing the master phone socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a telelphone cable upstairs vias the inside wall which I'll be dot'n'dabbing in the near future thus hiding the telephone cable (as well as other stuff too).

Firstly I need to move the Telewest socket over to the other side of the window. Can I simply remove the wires, move the box and re-install as necessary? Do I need to make sure the exposed telephone cables don't touch eachother whilst I have them removed from the box?

Secondly, when I reconnect the original telewest lines, I want to add a second line on the same connections at the back rather than having to use an extension plug in the front of the socket. I will then run this up the wall into the first floor to its own socket. Can I then piggy back this extension socket in the same way and route to another box in another room?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The socket is the property of the supplier not you, if its to be moved it "should" be done by them and not you. However if you move and do a good job it the chances of them knowing its been moved are slim. If they ever ask just say you didnt do it ! Ive known a few BT / NTL engineers say thats not where the socket would have been installed etc but thats rare !

I assume its a NTE5 type, if so the first front bit that screws off is where you can hard wire your extension wiring to.

See : http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php

mk2phil said:
I want to run a telelphone cable upstairs vias the inside wall which I'll be dot'n'dabbing in the near future thus hiding the telephone cable (as well as other stuff too).

Firstly I need to move the Telewest socket over to the other side of the window. Can I simply remove the wires, move the box and re-install as necessary? Do I need to make sure the exposed telephone cables don't touch eachother whilst I have them removed from the box?

Secondly, when I reconnect the original telewest lines, I want to add a second line on the same connections at the back rather than having to use an extension plug in the front of the socket. I will then run this up the wall into the first floor to its own socket. Can I then piggy back this extension socket in the same way and route to another box in another room?

Thanks

Ask TeleWest to provide a master NTE5 box which provides you with connections inside the box where you can legally connect you DIY internal wiring. They may do this for free or almost nothing. Tea and biscuit and the technician may move it to where you want it placed.

If you do short out the wires ( should you move the box yourself ) then you are doing the same as lifting the receiver. BUT if the short flickers on and off it is the same as dialling (the old rotary method ) and you may find yourself accidently dialling 112 and having the emergency services allerte to an aborted emergency call.

But what ever do NOT connect any DIY wiring to the incoming pair.

thanks guys. However, I want to flush mount the box and use a chrome type wall plate so it matches all the other sockets in the room. If I do this then any engineer from Telewest would know that I played around with it wouldn't they?

When I moved in the original owners had a telewest line installed, but I wanted BT for broadband. However, when it turned out that we couldn't get a BT line because all the lines were being used (UG wiring) I asked Telewest to reconnect the line. All the did was come round and did a few line checks.

Seems that the master socket always has to be the ugly surface mounted white box type?

Sponsored Links
If you want broad band then go for the NTE5 as you can then fit legally a good qualtity ADSL filter in place of the front plate. Seperates you phone wiring and ADSL wiring and remove the ned for micro-filters on each phone.

You can have the NTE 5 out of sight (but accessible as you and TeleWest will need access for any future fault diagnosis) and DIY wire phone and ADSL to where ever you like.

bernardgreen said:
If you want broad band then go for the NTE5 as you can then fit legally a good qualtity ADSL filter in place of the front plate. Seperates you phone wiring and ADSL wiring and remove the ned for micro-filters on each phone.

You can have the NTE 5 out of sight (but accessible as you and TeleWest will need access for any future fault diagnosis) and DIY wire phone and ADSL to where ever you like.

Pretty sure NTL/TW exchange line won't allow ADSL, since they offer cable DSL service as an additional service :LOL: .

For ADSL BB you need a BT line.

Move the TW master socket to a discrete location, such as an external wall near where the cable come in to the building. Then run wire to 1st socket you require on G/floor then run upstairs Rm1 and then Rm1 to Rm 2.

Telewest DO NOT keep records of their socket location, so as long as it's neat, tidy and servicable, then don't worry about it.

Check out the chrome sockets connnections, you may find they are screw type which saves have to hunt down an IDC / krone punch down tool. Some (if IDC) do come with a free plastic tool.

Master socket should be Blue to 2, white Blue to 5, after that you need 3 wires, to positions 2, 5 and 3 in and out of each socket. Last one has 3 wires 'in'.

so is it ok to piggyback the connections on the master socket to run an extension to another socket?

I could always say that the master socket was flush mounted with a chrome wall plate when I moved in..?

The master socket is the test point for TW, I wouldn't take it out or go down the road of saying the chrome one is the master. They won't like that!

The master should have the TW logo on it, piggy backing from the TW master to your flusg grd floor socket and then onwards (and upwards) is okay.

It is important to be able to disconnect your wiring from the TW socket for testing faults. TW will not be impressed if your wiring causes fault and what I would suggest is:-

Move TW socket to discrete location. IF the socket is an NTE type with seperate connection for your cabling then simply wire in. If the socket is a standard master you need to have a piggy back socket that PLUGS in to the master or an extension cord with a PLUG to coonect in to the master. From here you can do everything as you have posted.

Thing is, its on a wall that I’m going to be plaster boarding to create a cavity, so I’ll have to remove it for this and then when I put it back it’ll be in a plasterboard cavity box. If I leave it as the standard surface mount box it will look odd as everything else in the room with have chrome face plates. Also, If I use a normal extension on the master I have no way of getting it back into the cavity between the plaster board and the wall to run up to the first floor.

Wonder if I could say that the previous owner did it all, or perhaps that when Telewest came to fit it he supplied the cavity box and they fitted it into that for him rather than surface mounting? That way I could just use a chrome cut-out face plate to hide the white box behind – but it would have to be surface mounted for sure.

If I change to the NTE5 type socket could I do this myself, and would this allow me to connect the extension to the bottom section and then come back out the rear of the box and up the wall so you wouldn’t see anything from the front?

Phil, I wouldn't wory to much about Telewest having to come round to do the work. You could get a cavity box and fit the Master line jack front plate onto it. When you disconnect the telephone cable its only 50 volts or even 36 volts on some telewest mulitplexers but the ring current can give you a little wack so don't go licking it :LOL: .

You can "piggy back" of an extension if you like. You shouldn't really touch the wiring up to the first socket though but if you take your time and do a good job then go for it.

Normally Telewest use contractors and some of the quality (or lack of it) is much to be desired so you're probably better off doing it yourself anyway :eek:

In my house, the BT master socket is inside the hall cupboard, or it could come in the cupboard under the stairs, out of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back