Remove aerial and phone sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, needing help regarding removing the 2 sockets in the attached picture. They are both surplus to requirements and the cabling up the wall is an eyesore. As far as I can tell, the telephone socket is not the first in line, as I have traced the cabling outside to our living room. Can I just cut the wires and hide them in the roof and remove the sockets? Would I need to turn off power? Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just make sure none of the individual wires short together when cut.

Sponsored Links
Better to disconnect the other end of the cables first.

Especially for the phone line as unused and unfiltered extension sockets (if you don't have a NTE faceplate filter) may reduce your broadband speed

So I decided to just go ahead and open the socket (pic below). I tested broadband speed before and after snipping the 4 cables in the pic attached, and there has been no slow down of download/upload speed. Should I be ok to just cut both cables, insulate each splice end and hide in the roof now?
20181113_211119.jpg

Yeah, you can hide them in the roof.

It might however be advisable to remove the telephone wires from the other socket further down the line.

You telephone socket has 4 wires. You only need two for the transmission of data/voice. The third wire was a legacy thing for telephone bell ringers and as such is generally no longer needed. The 4th wire, IIRC, was just a spare in case BT came out with something new that needed a 4th wire.

Part of the problem with using more than the 2 wires is that you can increase "noise" on the line which may affect your broadband. Hence my recommendation that you physically remove any wiring that is not in use.

You should also remove the aerial cable back to its origon. Unterminated RF cables will have reflections which in some cases will appear as a short circuit and kill your signal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back