Telewest broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I would like to move telewest broadband point from one room to another room. .I need to know wich cables can i use to be able to run them about 10 meters. I left everything till last minutes (as usual :LOL: ).I have not got much time to find it out because my builders will not wait for me. I live in London, could anyone point me to a right direction.
Telewest broadband 750 k
Thank you
Roman

Sponsored Links
I think you need satellite cable, with twist on series f plugs to make the ends up (telewest ntl use crimped ones, but you need a special tool for that)

get some sat grade coax

fit a screw on F connector to each end (you strip back the outer sheath run the braiding back over the sheath strip the inner core and screw the plug on

then finally you will need an F coupler to join your new cable to the existing one

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=278&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=2&doy=15m10
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10447&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=2&doy=15m10
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1638&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=15m10

Thank you guys. Is any other shop i could buy it fom?Because Maplin does not have everything in stock.You have to wait for some bits up to 28 days.I have not much time left.
Thank you
Roman

Sponsored Links
i want to throw a spanner in the works.

everyone is saying get this coax etc etc, what i fail to see is this.

I have bb, from bt. it comes from the exchange on a pair ow wires (twisted pair) it also comes from the pole out side my house on a pair of wires (twisted pair)
when it gets inside it runs around the house on another pair (not twited) the previus owner installed for phone sockets

since i am sitting here now using bb, why do you need to use coax to move it, when all you have to do is use twisted pair to move the socket
I can only assume telewest do it differently?

Yes breezer, cable broadband is carried very differendly from ADSL. It shares the same feed into your house as the TV. In fact, you could have NTL or Telewest broadband without having a phone at all.

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

This shows the NTL feed amongst the spaghetti behind my desk. The silver coloured splitter takes the signal one way to the set top box and one way to the cable modem. The telephone connections on the left have nothing whatsoever to do with the broadband.

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

As you can see (just - sorry about the pics but I didn't have time to re-do them) it's high-grade co-ax right up to the point where it enters the modem.

Romchik (is that a reference to Brasseye?): if you don't fancy making your own cables, you can buy ready-made F-connector leads. Here is one which has a female connector at one end (would connect to your existing lead) and a male connector at the other end (the same as your existing lead). Unfortunately they only do up to 5m, but if you look here they sell a 10m lead for about £6. Scroll down to "extend your dish cable". You would need the "threaded F-barrel" they offer for an extra 29 pence :D . For the sake of the £2 or so you would save making your own cables, I would recommend you buy ready-made. :idea:

Ninebob, I thought you had Telewest anyway? Or do you work for TW?

AdamW said:
Ninebob, I thought you had Telewest anyway? Or do you work for TW?

Neither - I'm not in a Telewest area. I live in Grantham and have NTL phone, TV and 1.5meg BroadBand. I used to work for NTL a couple of years ago when I lived in Brighton.

Ah, 'twas the 1.5mbit that threw me: I knew Telewest had sped up all their cable modem services, I hadn't realised ntl had done the same. Wish the adsl providers would do such things too! :D Of course, ntl are planning to use adsl to extend their networks in future, don't think they are planning on HomeChoice type services though. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back