Vista Reinstall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used the installation disc to reinstall Vista on my computer but I think that I may have 2 operating systems now. :confused:

Going to my computer it says

RECOVERY (D: )

5.87 free of 9.99 GB

OS (C: )

147 free of 222 GB.

Are there now 2 drives with windows and if so, can I access any of my old files?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fag-free,
It looks like you have two partitions on the one Hard drive.

The 3+GB on partition/drive D:/ is, as it states the recovery partition which can, more than likely, be used to revert to Factory Settings. It is usually there on machines that do not come with an install disc.

Your old files will have been wiped when you reinstalled Vista.

Go to My Computer and double click the D:/ drive and see what folders are present on it.

Double click the Windows and the Tools folders and see what is showing in them.

Have a look in the Program Folder, you should find all the non-Windows programs that are on your computer.

dave

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Dave. I think they have all gone but my last shot may be the index locations which I remember had a lot of stuff.

How do I get into Index locations pls :?:

My Dell (XpPro) has 2 extra partitions (normally hidden).
' DellRestore' 3GB(my mc) fat32. Contains a 'Ghost' image of the system as delivered.
' DellUtility' 63 MB (my mc) 16bit fat. Contains utility progs for fault finding.
There is also a system disc, reinstallion using the disk requires all other software supplied on disc to also be installed.
Reinstall via the HDD partition ' DellRestore' and the mc - as stated - should be as delivered - all supplied software already installed. (updating will be required throughout of course).

Very good explanation of Dell situation here - things do sometimes change tho' :-
http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/index.htm

-p-

Sponsored Links
Back