Low Disc Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting an error message up saying I have low disc space. Going to my computer it says total disc space 222 GB but space free 198 GB :confused:

Any ideas why the error message?

Sponsored Links
Have you partitioned your hard drive so you have a small system partition?

Are you sure it's 198"gb" thats free and not 198 "mb" ?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the low disk space warning settings are incorrectly set then?

Maybe the low disc space message is referring to a partition other than the one your operating system is installed on - possibly a small backup partition used by a security suite like Norton 180? I have seen this on a laptop, where the backup partition was 8GB, and Norton was completely filling it with backups. But it doesn't have to be Norton - many programs can do this...

Assuming Windows XP, Try this:

Start>Control Panel>(top left)switch to classic view(if not already set)>administrative tools>computer management>disc management

What do you see in there? What we are looking for is more than one partition at Disc 0. For example, my PC has 6 partitions here, labelled C: E: F: G: H: I: You may only have one, probably labelled C:, but it is possible you have a second, smaller partition which is full.

What sizes do you see on this screen? What percentages?

Hi Joe

On Vista and it seems to be the OFF_27(E: ) 494 MB CDFS HEALTHY PRIMARY PARTITION that is showing 0% free.

Check to see if you have a CD in the CD drive, or a USB key drive plugged in somewhere, or possibly an SD (camera) card. The warning suggests you have a 512MB external drive plugged in, and that is what is full...

In Vista, the disc management screen is at: Start>Right-click Computer>Storage>Disc management

If you don't have any joy with finding external drives/discs, then we need to have a quick look to establish where the E: partition is, and what it is doing.

I have removed the disc in the drive and that seems to have been the culprit,

Thanks for replies. :D

Sponsored Links
Back