Deleting partions in Windows 7 clean install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a HP desktop which ran XP but am installing Windows 7 from a cd.

When given the option where to install, I see the following...

Disc 0 partition 1 OS 293.7gb system
Disc 0 partition 2 HP Recovery 4.4 gb primary
Disc 0 Unallocated space 9.0 mb

Which one do I use and can I delete any of the others without causing issues?

Should I delete all and format and create a new partition?

Any info would be truly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If installing from CD as a fresh install and not upgrading (i.e. you don't care about saving any of the data, files, programs etc..) then yes choose advanced option and delete all the partitions and then install on a single new partition (possibly auto creates its own). Also note as you are deleting the recovery partition you wont be able to restore to factory/xp. I assume you have a fresh/full/new install key and not some kind of upgrade key. If your not bothered about the 4.4gb partition you could just select partition 1 and just use that as your install directory and not delete any of them.

The unallocated space is where Win 7 intends to stick some hidden partition which is used for "licencing". As omega015 says, the HP recovery section has the XP recovery partition which you could leave on... but know that if you start to use built-in HP recovery options in the future, it'll take the OS from this section and install it... i.e overwrite your knackered Win 7 install with an XP install.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for the early response, for simplicity I should just install in partition 1 as kindly suggested.
As XP is no longer supported in future may just delete everything.

Once again many thanks for the advice.

Back