vista

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was reading another post about vista, doc lenny asked op for spec of computer.
Can you post the specs - Processor & RAM
Doc, My Packard Bell spec is:-
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
I would recommend 2gb of RAM and at least 256mb graphics memory.

Anyone know what processor and ram I have
And if I need more ram :confused:
Any recomendations , to improve what I have.
http://toshiba.icecat.biz/en/p/PSAABE-00J008EN/Equium%20A100-306.htm

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Best get 2GB. Fortunately, and thanks to Vista, Ram is very cheap at the moment. Although beware you will have to junk the supplied 1GB as it's installed as 2 512mb sticks, and thus taking up all available memory slots. Vista in my gf's new lappy uses about 800mb without even doing anything (anything useful :rolleyes: )

Best get 2GB. Fortunately, and thanks to Vista, Ram is very cheap at the moment. Although beware you will have to junk the supplied 1GB as it's installed as 2 512mb sticks, and thus taking up all available memory slots. Vista in my gf's new lappy uses about 800mb without even doing anything (anything useful :rolleyes: )
Is this something you can do yourself or do you need to take it in.
Bit concerned about static etc :oops:

Been reading up,done a check and I could have 4Gb , but no point as 32 bit vista, dont need more than 3.5 GB.

I also read it is better to pair the memory. so should I get two X 1GB.
If my cpu is on 63% is that 63% of the 1GB in use?

set of these should sort you out. You will need to locate the cover underneath which houses the ram, will need a small screwdriver to take it off. The existing memory will be held in by 2 spring clips at the sides, and the memory should ping out. New memory can then be clipped in against the slight pressure of the spring. Static is rarely a problem. Handle carefully, and only touch the sides (story of my life :oops: ) you could wear an antistatic strap for the static thing, but to be honest I've never used one, you can just touch a radiator before 'operating' don't wear fluffy or nylon jumpers, and don't walk about on the carpet in your socks beforehand. Be sure to remove the laptops battery too.

Make sure the memory slots can be accessed from underneath before purchasing new sticks, some laptops require the keyboard to be removed to upgrade memory, only in extremely rare cases though, best to check first.

Sponsored Links
I also read it is better to pair the memory. so should I get two X 1GB.
If my cpu is on 63% is that 63% of the 1GB in use?

CPU usage means the processor, the Intel Centrino/Dual/Core/Core Duo chip, whatever you have, and how fast it's going. 100% means flat out and that's when your cursor becomes egg-timer and the system slows to a crawl.

more info here

Sorry but I now have this image of 333rocky333 wandering about the house in a fluffy jumper and socks........................... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks delux:cool:
I proberly will get them as I may need it in the future .

One thing though, if i am not using 1gb at the moment , will fitting 2 gb make any difference at present.

Can you tell how much graphics memory I have please

Alison
Behave yourself :!: :)

You have basic onboard graphics, this nicks some of the main system ram, I don't know how much you have it set to, it will be between 8 and 128mb. It can be adjusted either in the BIOS, or graphics/display settings in the control panel. I'd suggest using 64mb for a system with 512mb.

Are you actually running vista on this machine?

vista is not worth its weight in letters.
uses twice the ram as xp and is 4 times slower.

Sponsored Links
Back