Vodafone TAP SMS Service Closing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vodafone will be switching off their TAP SMS service at the end of this month (March 2018). Anyone using their 07785499993 number for their alarm notification should use an alternative method/service. Be aware that some alternatives may charge 50p each time you dial.

Sponsored Links
Well they have been turning these off over the years it must be over 6 years since the last one went

Just spotted this! I'm using that Vodafone number so I need to change.

Any recommendations for a replacement service?

Sponsored Links
I don't see any maximum call cost/time noted on the site. Does anyone know if there's any protection in the event that the alarm panel holds the 50p per minute line open ?
The site only mentions that the transmission should complete within 60 seconds. Has anyone tried this to see if dialing in for 3 minutes costs £1.50.

A better option is to switch to IP based comm's.

my understanding when test this years ago, was that the when the sms is sent the system is auto acknowledged and sentnd system stopped, if its wired to an alarm output 1 text if wired to the bell out put 1 text every 15 minutes possible.

Not the service providers responsibility?

GSM much better, IP is great, but relies on router or gprs, depending on what you have I guess.

com2400 and the mini air, would allow an app, annual fee for the connection though is £35 using gprs

Doesn't the miniair cost over £300 ? £35 a year for the worldsim and GPRS comm's isn't too bad - just the module cost that's a bit high.

GSM texts probably the easiest route for DIY. Requires at least 1 autotest per week to give some level of confidence that it's working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back