Vokera Compact 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked at most threads on problems similar to mine but not sure if it's the same problem

Ok so I got to put heating on and it isn't working so I go look at the boiler, red light is on I check the pressure gauge and it's in the red, so I top up the system using he filling loop till it gets to 1.5 bar reset the boiler and it begins to work, later on I go out side and the over flow is dripping brown fluid,
I go look at the boiler and the pressure is around 2.5 bar so I open radiator valve to release down to 1.5 bar, hot water is fine and heating fine,
Next morning heating should have come on via the timer and the rads are cold so I go look at the boiler again, pressure in red and red light on, so I repeat above to get it going all the same things happen water dripping and increase in pressure when hot,
Been doing this now for a few weeks and it's driving me nuts, when I leave the heating on 24h 7 days it's all fine once I relieve the pressure down to under 2 bar, water stops dripping out overflow and everything works as it should,
I checked the expansion vessel and it's full of air no water, and reading 14psi
I'm going to order a psv any tips on changing this would be good,
Heat exchanger may be faulty but not sure as to why the pressure rises then once I stabilise the pressure after it's initially gone up it all works fine if something was leaking into the system then why once I stabilise it does it stay steady at that pressure and not continue to rise?

Sponsored Links
If only you would read the FAQ and Wiki on this site you would immediately see that the EXV has failed!

Tony

If only you would read the FAQ and Wiki on this site you would immediately see that the EXV has failed!

Surely not with 14 psi in the tank!!

Where does it say that it was correctly measured?

Or that its all air?

Or that the communication pipe is clear?

The description of the symptoms is a classic statement of a lack of expansion absorbtion.

Tony

Sponsored Links

Tony
I have been on the q&a can't see anything about an exv
What is an exv ?

How do you know that he has correctly checked it?

Most DIYers don't!

Many "professionals" don't either!

A search of the Forum for EXV comes up with 437 results!

Tony

Tony that would be stereotyping. I have seen some DIY handiwork that would put professionals to shame. Heck, Tony, there are some very bright people about who go about their business without cracking a light or claiming to be superbright

When a poster posts information, one has to accept it to be factual unless something else suggests otherwise. OP did say 14 PSI which would suggest there is air in the tank but communicating pipe is not allowing the expansion to utilise the 14 psi.

see that the EXV has failed!

But corrected yourself by with later statement :LOL:

When I use the expression "the EXV has failed" that is meant to cover all possible failure modes!

As so few professionals seem to properly assess EXVs then I don't expect that all DIYers will.

Not helped by the sticky on this Forum not being very well written ( with apologies to the late Chris ). I would like to rewrite it!

Tony

Tony that would be stereotyping. I have seen some DIY handiwork that would put professionals to shame. Heck, Tony, there are some very bright people about who go about their business without cracking a light or claiming to be superbright

When a poster posts information, one has to accept it to be factual unless something else suggests otherwise. OP did say 14 PSI which would suggest there is air in the tank but communicating pipe is not allowing the expansion to utilise the 14 psi.

see that the EXV has failed!

But corrected yourself by with later statement :LOL:

Your correct believe me I have seen most DIY disasters done by people who think they know,
I'm self employed joiner have been for 14 years in that time I have done most trades myself where possible excluding gas, I'm actually part installing a boiler and unvented pressure cylinder in a renovation I'm doing for someone he asked me to do as much as I can as the plumbers he's used have made a balls of running pipes all over the place cutting into joists willy nilly,
I'm confident I can fix my boiler although expansion vessel looks a pain right down the back of the boiler, I tested the air pressure using a digital pressure gauge I had, I know its accurate as I have used it before, I pressed the valve and only got air from it, if its something I can fix then sure no problem otherwise I will get a gas installer,

Did you let ALL the air out?

Did you note what effect that had on the system pressure?

Tony

Did you let ALL the air out?

Did you note what effect that had on the system pressure?

Tony

No I didn't empty it, should I do that and then try the boiler,
I didn't want to empty it as it was ready the correct pressure

Did you measure the air pressure and then lower the system pressure to zero and see what effect that had on the air pressure?

Just measuring the air pressure is not correctly assessing the EXV when there is a suspected fault with it.

If the air cap is at the top then you need to remove ALL the air to see if there is any water at the bottom.

[ When the air cap is at the bottom its sufficient to just let a little air out and see if water comes out. ]

Tony

Did you measure the air pressure and then lower the system pressure to zero and see what effect that had on the air pressure?

Just measuring the air pressure is not correctly assessing the EXV when there is a suspected fault with it.

If the air cap is at the top then you need to remove ALL the air to see if there is any water at the bottom.

[ When the air cap is at the bottom its sufficient to just let a little air out and see if water comes out. ]

Tony

Hi I measured it when the boiler was cold and at zero pressure

I think it is a top cap on that one. If so it could be almost full of water!

Did you measure the air pressure as you increased the water pressure and see what change occurred?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back