Vokera Excell SP 80 combi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my girlfriends flat has the above boiler heating her home. She recently mentioned to me that her kitchen radiator was a lot colder than the others so as I know a little about heating I bleed the radiators.

A lot of air came out of the radiators (not just the kitchen one) so as its a closed system I went to see what the pressure was like on the boiler. The gauge was almost zero but my girlfriend advised that it had never worked properly ever since she moved in to her flat 3 years ago. She said that she had opened the filling loop after reading the instructions and finding that the gauge was low to re-pressurise the system and inadvertently caused the filling loop valve to leak.

She had this fixed and has home care by BG who service her boiler every year.

I have let a little bit of water into the system after letting out a lot of air of each radiator in turn to try and replace the air with a decent bit of water. Is there a way of...

a) Fixing the pressure gauge

or

b) Filling the system to an acceptable level without a guage? (i.e. should there be a bit of pressure when you open the bleed valves for example because at the moment there is hardly any and water merely trickles out)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
a lot of that doesnt make sense.

the easy answer is phone BG.

She has done - every year when they come out and do her annual service they do the service then say because of the age of the boiler it isn't covered by their replacement warranty but they do nothing to fix the faulty gauge and instead just tell her everything is fine even though the boiler fails one of their checks.

She has the basis home care package for the boiler controls only (not the full system).

She has done - every year when they come out and do her annual service they do the service then say because of the age of the boiler it isn't covered by their replacement warranty but they do nothing to fix the faulty gauge and instead just tell her everything is fine even though the boiler fails one of their checks.

She has the basis home care package for the boiler controls only (not the full system).

hmm *******s. the guage is covered its part of the boiler for gods sake , although im not certain by your description that its faulty. if the filling loop is faulty it may not be covered. i'd need to check on that.

my advice to you is to get them to send a copy of the terms and conditions, read it and then create merry hell if they refuse to repair anything you are entitled to. either that or arrange a repair and when the eng turns up ask to see the T+C's on the laptop.

Sponsored Links

hmm ****. the guage is covered its part of the boiler for gods sake , although im not certain by your description that its faulty. if the filling loop is faulty it may not be covered. i'd need to check on that.

my advice to you is to get them to send a copy of the terms and conditions, read it and then create merry hell if they refuse to repair anything you are entitled to. either that or arrange a repair and when the eng turns up ask to see the T+C's on the laptop.

The loop has been replaced in the last few years so that is no longer a problem. I will make sure she gets the T&C's - I have just browsed their website and they say they cover the boiler no matter what the age.

Changing the gauge is fairly easy on these but you need to drain the boiler.

Part is about £20 tops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back