Vokera Linea 24 rattle noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6 year old boiler which has had many problems largely due to the regularly mentioned heat exchanger scale problems - now have a water softener and far fewer problems. A recent and new problem is a rattle that appeared to come from the main heat exchanger now changed and further investigation points to the region of the water manifold - pressure switch area. I recall someone mentioning a weak valve return spring as a possible cause of noise in these boilers but can't find the post/thread again!!! :cry:
Any help appreciated the MHE is new and the DWE is a descaled swop (I have 2 one on standby very hard water here)

Tony

Sponsored Links
We have same boiler. Many faults occurred over last few weeks. Scale might be a problem too as we're in N.Lincs. Flow sensor went last week. Before that, pressure wouldn't hold up. Vacuum valve changed or something.
Don't rate these Vokera things at all.

I have had the DV cause a rattling sound on these in the past. Put a screwdriver to it and listen.

i think gas4you is correct, on ch, the diverter can be faulty and cause spill through the pl ate h/ex, which has a nrv that rattles. to prove this, ask your installer to remove the dv motor, and then gently pull the dv pin with long nosed pliers [whilst boiler running on ch demand.] the noise should stop. the dv can be repaired with a kit. [make sure all deposits are removed from pin with stanley blade and wire wool]

Sponsored Links
Do NOT use wire wool or a sharp implement. You will mark the spindle which will then kill the bush that keeps water within the system. Use a green scouring pad instead.

Vokera make reasonable boilers, not good as they use to, but still reasonable with parts that do not cost arm and a leg. If mikeg68's boiler was fitted as per maker's instructions (clean system, limescale inhibitor etc) and people repairing the boiler (that means any make and model of boiler) were not all thumbs, he would not be constantly calling people in to fix the boiler. About a month ago, I repaired a Linea and restored it to service. This was a boiler that had been condemned by a large service provider. What it needed was a bit of TLC and operational understanding.

Regardless of the make of boiler, every make and model does require 'competent' repairs and service that should keep it working. Sadly this service often takes back seat. Repairs more often than not are poke and hope that leaves the end user wrongly disillusioned with the product.

rattling noise is the non return valve in the right hand brass section of the dhw heat exchanger. to access, drain the heating circuit and remove the blue pcb from the gas valve. the chromed pipe with the three connections needs to be removed. the non return valve is found behind the connection to the brass bit/dhw h/e. lever the old one out and replace it.

then either, marvel at how the new nonreturn valve also rattles or be very smug and happy at the silence for a few days/weeks/months until the rattle starts again.

rattling noise is the non return valve in the right hand brass section of the dhw heat exchanger. to access, drain the heating circuit and remove the blue pcb from the gas valve. the chromed pipe with the three connections needs to be removed. the non return valve is found behind the connection to the brass bit/dhw h/e. lever the old one out and replace it.

then either, marvel at how the new nonreturn valve also rattles or be very smug and happy at the silence for a few days/weeks/months until the rattle starts again.

LOL I loved this reply!

And happen to agree with this diagnosis, I will give it a try as the boiler was reasonably quiet for a few years except when scale was a problem.

Thanks to all who replied I am now a fan of the site have a good new year.

Tony

I have had the DV cause a rattling sound on these in the past. Put a screwdriver to it and listen.

Its a good idea but would use a piece of hard wood dowl instead much safer especially where electricity is involved. I've seen mechanics use the technique to isolate rattles in engines.

Nickso is spot on there, the diverter produces more squeels that rattles

and as for the new one rattling, thats why unless the customer reports the noise I leave well alone and never open my mouth!! :D

Nickso is spot on there, the diverter produces more squeels that rattles

and as for the new one rattling, thats why unless the customer reports the noise I leave well alone and never open my mouth!! :D

i just tell them before i replace it. it will be noisy again at some point. that point may be immediately

if the diverter valve does not close fully [due to primary system carp building up on diverter pin] primary flow intended for the ch, spills through plate h exchanger. its going in the correct direction, but at reduced velocity, causing the nrv to rattle. when h/w is drawn, full flow of primary water through plate h exchager renders nrv silent or inaudable due to mains water noise.
I dont mean scratch all the chrome off pin, just remove deposits and re grease. Linea is a very good boiler. See my earlier post on how to PROVE or not, this is the fault :D

if the diverter valve does not close fully [due to primary system carp building up on diverter pin] primary flow intended for the ch, spills through plate h exchanger. its going in the correct direction, but at reduced velocity, causing the nrv to rattle. when h/w is drawn, full flow of primary water through plate h exchager renders nrv silent or inaudable due to mains water noise.
I dont mean scratch all the chrome off pin, just remove deposits and re grease. Linea is a very good boiler. See my earlier post on how to PROVE or not, this is the fault :D

interesting, i shall clean the pin next one i get and see if it stops the rattle.

Don't suppose it makes any difference but is the problem due to poor boiler design or a poor quality part ie a return spring? or do particular installations suffer due to environmental or other circumstances?

My boiler was installed as a replacement but the system was not flushed and problems soon occurred the installer then power flushed the system but I suspect that the combination of hard water and the lack of care with the initial installation has caused problems ever since. At one point i found the feeder pipe to the expansion vessel blocked with scale and over pressure problems as a result! I think I now have the scale problem in hand largely due to the domestic water softener I have installed (also solved shower mixer tap problem).

interesting, i shall clean the pin next one i get and see if it stops the rattle.

Interesting indeed and the noise does reduce substantially when hot water is drawn. Certainly worth a go before spending money elsewhere.
Thanks.

it will be quiet during HW op as the non ret valve is fully open.

all lineas do this regardless where they are situated or what condition the water is in. the expansion pipe blocking is a common issue too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back