Vokera Linea 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

can I ask a question. We have this boiler and I called the service to look at it as we have an issue with loosing pressure.
I am familiar with that one lever valve that allows me to refill the system.
can I ask though there are two adjustable black stopcocks.
One on the right seems to be just before the filling valve facing down and another in the middle facing front.
I need to buy new caps and they just spin on the valve.
But can I ask what these two are for and if they should be shut or open in normal operation?

thank you

Attachments

• 0574CF8A-17A1-42C2-AD8B-1086F641E2DA.jpeg
    0574CF8A-17A1-42C2-AD8B-1086F641E2DA.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 66
  • 848C2ED5-3608-4488-B45C-CF69E851E3E8.jpeg
    848C2ED5-3608-4488-B45C-CF69E851E3E8.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
cant understand why you have two, you should only have one, it is a water throttle, your installer sets it up to regulate the flow rate at your taps, you shouldnt be touching it, you will have disturbed it now anyway, that is at the bottom of the boiler on the right hand side , the other one is connected to your filling loop, you will have to open that one when you use the 3 way filling valve to top the pressure up, then close it again .

So you saying the one on the right facing down regulates the pressure of our water in the taps? I did not disturb it as it just fell off and the teeth in the plastic are worn so it just turned without turning the valve
And you saying the other one should be open when topping up the pressure using the lever handle? And the closed? I believe this one is always open and so that might explain the pressure drops as the water just leaks back out?

No the one with the cap forward facing is the water throttle, there is a correct method of locking it when the boiler is set up, but idiots so called engineers tend to force it because they dont know how to "Unlock it" and the result is what you have the other one , because your boiler is old, water regulations say that you must have backflow protection so yours has the 3 way valve at one end of the filling loop hose , and a manual valve at the other end, the reason for the little silver caps attached is you are supposed to remove the hose and fit those caps when not using it for filling, but no one ever does, this is not causing your pressure loss, there should be a small pipe from the boiler going through the wall , locate that and tie a freezer bag or something over the outlet and see if it gathers any water when the heating is on, you say you had it serviced , who serviced it? did they completely strip the boiler down and inspect the main heat exchanger ? did they check the expansion vessel pressure, these things must be done but few actually do it

Sponsored Links
Hi. I attached another image. Kind of from the bottom. I circled 3 valves in different colours.
The red and green ones had those black turn handles on them. They both fell off and are at the surface below.
The red one I believe based on your explanation is the one regulating the pressure of the water in our taps.
The blue one is the 3 way handle I use to top up the water when the pressure drops
And the green one, was open always. So what I did I have a spare handle that I used to close it. Once I did the the filling was not going using the blue one. Once I opened it the filling was going as normal.
So you saying that after the pressure is topped up One is supposed to close the valve that I circled in green? Would make sense.
Note I did mot do anything with the one in red.
They will come soon. I booked them in.
Thank you so much for your replies

Attachments

• 7B14A03B-4AFD-4A23-9DFF-8EA3C114583E.jpeg
    7B14A03B-4AFD-4A23-9DFF-8EA3C114583E.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 49
also you saying that the silver flex pipe should be removed and the open ends on both the 3 way and stopcock valves (both should be closed) should be capped using the hanging caps.

let me tell you I told that to the last engineer that the valve handle just turns and does not close. He said its ok. well turns out it is not now the first time in years actually the valve is closed. So lets see if the leak of pressure still happens.
i will know fast and last 2 days I had to top up 3 times a day. But if that is causing the leak then the 3 way valve is not sealing well. As they are replacing water pipes on our street so the pressure might be slightly lower and it leaks back perhaps? That is speculation though. Anyway the stop valve is closed now after the filling so I will see and let you know. And everything works. The water flows and the heating works and so on

Your system pressure loss is nothing to do with these valves, it will be a heat exchanger problem, an expansion problem or a pressure reif valve problem, when they come to service it tell him to give you a shout when he is cleaning the main heat exchanger, have a look at the back right hand corner and look at the insulation pads, if they are discoloured and swelled or are green , that is your problem, the main heat exchanger weld has pinholed very common problem, if the engineer gives you some story about not having to clean the heat exchanger get a proper engineer

Understood everything. Thank you for your help. I will ask them when here.
Can I ask where all the water goes? It evaporates? There is no leak anywhere below the boiler visible.
Take care.

Can I ask where all the water goes? It evaporates?
yes if it is the heat exchanger it evaporates when the burner comes on, the others the water is released outside via the pipe I told you to but the bag over to see if it is going out there

Oh. Ok. Got you now. Unfortunately I am on the second floor so no access to that pipe. But hopefully the engineer will be diligent and he will sort it out. Thank you very much!

Oh. Ok. Got you now. Unfortunately I am on the second floor so no access to that pipe. But hopefully the engineer will be diligent and he will sort it out. Thank you very much!
just look outside if you are on the 2nd floor and that is the fault your outside wall will probably be stained, an easy check of the expansion vessel, when you top up the pressure when the system is cold run the CH and after half an hour check the pressure guage and see if the pressure has gone up near 3 Bar

Hi. I will ask my neighbour to take a photo from the garden tomorrow. Cannot even take the photo :).
and yes you right. When we run central heating after top up to 1 bar the pressure goes up to 3 or above a little. Now I switched it off the pressure dropped to slightly below what I topped up.

Hi. I will ask my neighbour to take a photo from the garden tomorrow. Cannot even take the photo :).
and yes you right. When we run central heating after top up to 1 bar the pressure goes up to 3 or above a little. Now I switched it off the pressure dropped to slightly below what I topped up.
Then that is your problem, the expansion vessel needs checked probably just needs repressurising properly, might need replacing but rare , your PRV might need replacing at the same time as has been operating for a long time, connection hose might be blocked, if your service engineer is decent they will know how to check these, but that is definately your problem

Thank you very much. I will keep you posted about this. Best regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back