Vokera Linea 28 - no hot water instead radiators get hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we turn on the hot water tap the boiler fires up but instead of water coming out of tap being hot (its lukewarm at best) the radiators start to get hot. I suspect that water heated in the combustion chamber is not being diverted to the secondary heat exchanger but instead circulating in the central heating. The boiler is not cutting out and then cycling back so I am pretty sure the heat exchanger is NOT blocked. Sounds like the diverter valve is not functioning properly. Thoughts on what and how I should check would be greatly appreciated. I image problem could be electrical as well as mechanical.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Remove actuator and check spindle is not sticking/ leaking due to a buildup of $hite. clean with a green pad.
Service kits do not include a new spindle.

Sponsored Links
Any chance it could be a sticking non return valve on the outlet of the primary return from the plate HE? Agile Tony has written for another thread that this could also give the same symptom. I'll start with the diverter valve first however. Thanks for all the replies. A grateful kjmcdow

Any chance it could be a sticking non return valve on the outlet of the primary return from the plate HE? Agile Tony has written for another thread that this could also give the same symptom. I'll start with the diverter valve first however. Thanks for all the replies. A grateful kjmcdow
Nope that fault gives completely different symptoms, it is the diverter valve and it needs a service kit, the actuator motor may be damaged by water ingress and as already advised its very easy to check this.

Thanks for all the input already, but the problem continues and with autumn approaching needs to be fixed. The functioning of the diverter valve appears to be the root of the problem. The diverter valve has been serviced - the spindle now moves more freely. Although there was some water ingress, it does not appear to have been the root of the original problem. It remains that when we turn on a hot water tap the boiler fires up but instead of water coming out of tap being hot (its lukewarm) the radiators start to get hot. The water from tap is only hot if the CH is on.

The actuator works fine. When the CH is on the piston retracts, when the CH off it’s extended, and when the CH is on and a hot water tap is turned on, the piston retracts.

I can get hot rather than lukewarm water through the taps by depressing the spindle manually or by inserting the actuator with a five pence piece at the end of the piston housing so that the spindle is depressed fully. The latter is how we have been getting hot water for the last few months since we have not been using the central heating.

Thoughts on likely source of problem? A dodgy diverter service repair kit or replacement manifold? Crud on the valve seating? And if the latter, what’s the best way to clean?

when you fit the diverter valve service kit on these, there are two o rings that look Identical and can be fitted either way round but you must use the one with the blue O ring on the rear of the shuttle or you will get the problem that you have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back