Vokera Mynute 28SE - Firing up problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if anyone could give me some advice on a recurring problem with my Vokera. Engineer cannot get to the bottom of it either.
After a few months the boiler will only fire if the inner silver casing is slightly open. Had the air pressure switch renewed about a couple of years ago. Removed fan and cleaned it thouroughly and replaced (about 3 times now). All goes well for another few months then the same thing happens. Surely the fan can't be needing cleaned that often - can it be needing replaced?
Everything else seems to check out ok, i.e. with multimeter.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
No haven't done that - what can we expect to find if that's the problem?

Only a gas registered engineer should be doing those things mentioned.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Only a gas registered engineer should be doing those things mentioned.

Tony

The engineer is gas registered but he's been at a loss to know why the problem keeps occurring. If its the flue, I just wanted to know what problems there would be with it. Have to say the flue's never been touched since the heating was installed about 7 years ago.

We are not permitted to give detailed advice on gas matters on the open forum. Most of those asking are intending to do it themselves!

Your RGI should register for the Combustion Chamber part of this site where trade questions can be asked. Or if he cannot manage the internet either then he could telephone me.

Tony

Sometimes the clips fall off so inner tube is no longer continuous.

Just to let you know that the problem is solved (meantime!). The engineer took out the fan assembly yet again, cleaned it, cleaned the tubes (although he said they looked fine), had a look at the flue (there didn't seem to be an obstruction), put it all back together again and hey presto, it fired up. Obviously there does seem to be a recurring fault with the boiler and we're seriously thinking about getting it replaced. At the moment we have a Vokera Mynute 28SE with a separate hot water tank. The engineer has said we cannot install a combi boiler - too many readiators etc, but we seriously need to think about something else before the winter comes in. If anyone has any suggestions as to what is a good replacement for my boiler I would like to hear your views. At the moment Worcester and Ideal have been mentioned but I would like to install a really good boiler that doesn't seem to have too many problems attached to it. Thanks in advance.

Obviously he's checked the air presure switch and that the fan is actually ok? These boilers are 8-9 yrs old and the fan may be suspect.Just a thought.

Obviously he's checked the air presure switch and that the fan is actually ok? These boilers are 8-9 yrs old and the fan may be suspect.Just a thought.

Yea he did check both fan and air pressure switch and they seem to be ok. The a.p. switch was only replaced about 2-3 years ago. I actually thought the fan must be on its way out myself as it shouldn't need cleaned as often as we seem to be cleaning this one. However, the engineer seemed to be pleased he got it working for us so can't complain. I thought the fan either worked or it didn't, is there are any half measure to these things?
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Sometimes the fans dont run at the full speed. Needs an opto tachometer to check.

Also the safety devices are designed for a completely clean system.

Tony

The engineer has said we cannot install a combi boiler - too many readiators etc

I find this statement a bit strange from your engineer, how many radiators have you got?

The engineer has said we cannot install a combi boiler - too many readiators etc

I find this statement a bit strange from your engineer, how many radiators have you got?
We have about 20 radiators in a 2 storey house. Also 3 showers and a bath. A combi system cannot heat all this water successfully at the one time and would also have pressure problems. Also we would only need to change the boiler at present and keep the hot water tank which sits next to the boiler.

A combi is unsuitable because you have more than one hot water outlet so thats why you need a heat only boiler and a cylinder.

Nothing to do with the number of rads.

That Vokera should be totally repairable. Having said that they can be rather difficult to identify intermittent faults on.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back