Voltage detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any comments on this device. I thought it was similar to something I bought years ago, like a pen with red barrel and white tip, but this device seem completely useless (unless I'm using it wrongly). It seems to indicate voltage all over the place where I know there are no current carrying cables.

Is this one any better.

Sponsored Links
They both have thier place - but also have their limitations. Try rubbing it up and down your arm over a shirt - it'll probably light up - nuff said.

For a starter you're better off trying one of these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Test_Meters_Index/Dilog_TM6741/index.html
before moving up to proper and far more expensive test gear. For general work one of the above used with a proving device is what most sparks will use. The pukka meters come out for testing resistance, RCD times etc- the above will do for checking live or dead - dont forget the proving device as well - prove before, test, then prove afterwards to make sure your fuse didnt fail after the first proving test.

Non-contact AC detection from 5VAC & above

If no contact then no reference possible therefore results can not be accurate.

Best is it may tell you there is a voltage there but it will not confirm there is NO voltage there

I understand the limitations. My previous one worked well - e.g. quick and easy confirmation that I have isolated the right circuit. I'm just looking to replicate that function.

The tester you linked to will no doubt do the same job and more besides - but it's not got the convenience of a pen-sized device.

Sponsored Links
As to the orignal problem, have to tried it when wearing only cottons and with the mobile phone off your person?

Be careful when you are buying the fluke ones online from other places though ... its only the UK spec one that has probes which conform to GS38,

It is worse than that, there are counterfeit "Flukes" which are very poor construction and may arc over internally when used on mains voltages. The test leads look like the UK spec but have inferior insulation.

Fluke VoltAlert could be OK but pricey at £22 compared to this at £9.99. May have to check them both out and report back.

Also this from ebay but possibly too cheap at £3.99.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Be careful when you are buying the fluke ones online from other places though ... its only the UK spec one that has probes which conform to GS38,

It is worse than that, there are counterfeit "Flukes" which are very poor construction and may arc over internally when used on mains voltages. The test leads look like the UK spec but have inferior insulation.

so you are saying there are fluke flukes :LOL:

The fluke you linked to is the best one, and a nice bit of kit (as far as volt sticks go), but then you can tell that from the price tag.

The one in your second link is OK, but IMO it is too sensitive.

The third one, I have no experience of, but it doesn't look very good to me.

My favorite was the old fluke volt stick, but that has been superseeded the one in your link :cry: :cry:

I've always rated the Steinel Digi Check.
Excellent kit.
They also do one with LEDs on, we always referred to them as 'Christmas Tree Testers'

Digi3.2.jpg

828831.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back