vonage and cable modem

Reaction score
Country
United States
For all you tekkies out there....a general question.

Vonage (voip) is advertised to work only with cable or DSL....I have cable.
Lately, when the two (internet and phone) are hooked up, my phone works fine, but I cannot access the internet (it displays that I am not connected to the internet) I have asked my cable company...they say that when you have both...for lack of a better way of saying it, the 'power' will go to the phone first...that it is not a cable/modem problem because the phone still works...that it is a 'phone' problem. I cant be the only one with this problem so was wondering if there was a simple or not solution? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Your system is likely to be different to that in the UK, but do they really mean power or bandwidth?

If the latter, there should be a mechanism (firmware or software) for allocating bandwidth, so ask your voip supplier.

thanks for the quick response. I realize things are different here and there, that's why i didnt get real specific. To answer your question, probably bandwidth...the conversation with my provider didnt get very far...they bascially just said it wasnt their prob...to contact Vonage...I just was not sure what Vonage would tell me. I just recently (this morning) heard the word firmware and it sounds like that may be the way to go. All this is new to me. I will try contacting Vonage and see where that leads me. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

Sponsored Links
Back